Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzanne25496 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Soil Stack
    We had a couple of leaks in the bathroom that showed up in the drywall in the kitchen. We have gutted the bathroom believing that we had a clog in the pipes. THe plumber tells us that the soil stack which has some rust spots and a small hole that we can see should be replaced from attic to basement. We are wondering how much of the stack must be replaced. The soil stack has an elbow in this bathroom which is located on the second floor.. where we can see the rust and hole. How much MUST we replace? We didn't anticipate having to replace every piece of plumbing in the bath. This house was built in 1917 and updated in the 30's. Also, is it appropriate to ask for a bid on this work?
    Thanks for your help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 12:06 PM

If your stack is cast iron and 90 years old with rust holes all the way through it's time to replace the whole thing. The plumber will give you an estimate but this kind of job can be done in a day or two. I'd cut it out in manageable pieces starting on the roof. The replacement stack would be PVC, the plumber seems to be giving you the straight truth.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Hi Suzanne...

Like Ballenger said, time to replace the whole thing! Imagine trying to save a few bucks here just to find out you will need to tear into the wall again down the road! That could be awful and would be much more expensive to do in the future as the plumber would have to work with finished areas.

It certainly is fair to ask for an estimate on this work... should not be hard to price this out for you.

Good luck...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

T-ing into soil stack [ 6 Answers ]

I have a very old house that has been updated piecemeal. Now I need to T a 1-1/2" PVC pipe from the bathroom sink and tub into an existing soil stack. The soil stack is non-ferrous and has an outside circumference of approximately 14-7/8" I have several questions: With this outside diameter, is...

Soil Stack Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone. When we bought our duplex, the home inspector said that we would need to re-seal the soil stack some time soon. Well, I've finally come to that point in my home project listing, so I wanted to find out what I should use to seal it and if there is anything I need to be aware of when...

Soil stack snapper, [ 2 Answers ]

I have rented a RIGID chain cutting tool to cut my soil stack, I'm just not sure if I should use it like a tubing cutter or simply keep tightening till something gives. (as the name soil stack snapper, implys)?

View more questions Search