Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggaarryy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 11:33 PM
    Replacing windows for older version
    Hi I'm just wondering how you wipe absolutely everything off the computer so you can start again with an older version of windows. I have a lot of old games and I'm wondering how to get rid of windows xp and windows 2000 and replace it with windows 95
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 10:08 AM

Format the drive and with windows 95, you would need a floppy drive to boot from as 95 does not come in a bootable cd

Need more info on your end, what you have, what you have done
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 12, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Errrr, it's highly likely you will NOT find Win 95 drivers for the newer XP compatible hardware that your machine has.
    Also Games designed to run under 95 and 98 tend to use DOS4GW and are linked directly to the processor speeds, so they would be totally unplayable with modern hardware, WAY to fast.

You would be better off trying to find an updated version that runs under XP or trying Compatibility Mode.
    answeromatic Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Go to a goodwill or a off the map computer resale store. I promise you that will have computers for $50 that have Win 95 already installed in them. The hardware now is different from 95 and it won't be compatible.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Feb 22, 2009, 05:38 PM

This is a lot of WORK just to play a GAME!
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Mar 1, 2009, 07:51 PM

If you want to play old games, go to:
    VOGONS :: Index
    It's the very old games network.
    Search for your game there.
    Also,
    "Build on XP" - How to Play Build Engine Games Like Duke 3D on Windows XP
    For ways to get your game working, as the info there works for a lot of games. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing older Moen tub faucet [ 7 Answers ]

First, let me say I'm plumbing challenged, so I hope I can explain this correctly. The Moen tub faucet with diverter that was installed new in my new house 7 years ago has broken. I went to the store to buy a new one but can't find a similar one anymore. The broken one has a 3/4" attachment...

Older BX cable may need replacing/updating [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older (1950) house and the BX cable in a heavily used light fixture box is my concern. While updating the kitchen, I plan to change the light fixture box to a junction box and add two (2) small recessed lights just below that location behind thew cornice (over the sink). The insulation...

Older Basement Windows [ 3 Answers ]

My house has those old single pane metal framed windows. Eventually I would like to replace them with nice vinyl window but I estimated the cost for 5 new windows and a mason to be around $700. Right now I can't afford that, any suggestions on a cheap alternative. I want to do this for two...

Favorite version of Windows [ 9 Answers ]

What's your favorite? A recent poll from Desktop Pipeline Newsletter came up with some interesting results. So I diecided to see what the people here would say. Scott<>

Replacing shower in older house [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of replacing a shower stall in an upstairs bathroom. The problem is that my drain line for the shower is only 1 1/2" rather than 2" as is apparently the standard and size of all drains that I have seen. There was an old shower stall there but the drain leaked horribly and...

View more questions Search