Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 11, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Foam insulation on outside of poured concrete wall
    When I look at the wall between my basement and the crawl space there is foam board insulation on the crawl space side. There is also some kind of black sealant on the wall as well. What impact would this have on insulation and vapor barrier on the inside of the basement walls?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 08:12 PM

The black sealant is supposed to be there. It is a waterproofing agent. It's basically a tar product.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Feb 11, 2009, 09:06 PM

The black layer is a spray on vapor barrier. I hesitate to call anything water proof because almost nothing is 100% water proof.

The foam insulation serves a couple of purposes.
    1) When pouring a basement foundation many companies will put a rigid insulation board inside of the formwork for the concrete because they can leave the insulation there and it is much easier to strip the form work.
    2) It will provide some insulation but not a lot. If you use the basement as a living space you need to put insulation inside the wall with an air cavity between the wall and the insulation.

Aaron
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 09:10 PM

The black sealant should be on the outside of the wall below grade level to protect the block wall form ground moisture. Inside is a bit back wards.

The foam can be on either side depending on grade.

Your fine as long as the wall outside is above grade.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 09:44 PM

No impact at all. Are you planning to addition insulation or something?

Feb 12, 2009, 09:43 AM

I plan on framing a wall set out from the concrete wall. I have taped plastic to the wall for three days, not a trace of moisture. Is is necessary to seal the concrete walls, or add any other vapor barrier between the concrete and insulation I plan to add the new framed wall. I need to check, but I believe code requires vapor barrier between insulation and drywall.

Feb 12, 2009, 09:55 AM

Since you mention code will you be pulling a permit?

Feb 12, 2009, 10:35 AM

Already have it.

Feb 12, 2009, 10:42 AM

OK then, check the permit carefully, the building department will guide you on how this should be done since they will inspect it. Its much better to get on their good side by asking advice that to ask their pardon after an error. My area requires the patio to not be pinned and it must float. A pad will more significantly during seasonal changes as compared to your homes foundation.

Feb 12, 2009, 11:23 AM

Got it, thanks!
    luckycharm1978 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 11:04 AM

It depends on how thick the foam is on the outside as to what its purpose is there are how do I put this "ready made" forms that are sometimes made of foam that some contractors use and they just leave the foam in place supposed to be insulation. As for the black tar not a good idea to put it inside your basement. Its supposed to be for waterproofing on the outside. As long as the drain tile is properly installed you should have no problems with moisture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's that blue spray on foam insulation? [ 11 Answers ]

I've seen people on the Holmes on Homes TV show on TLC use a blue spray on foam insulation that looks like Great Stuff. Someone in my town is a dealer for something called Icynene. Is that the same thing that they're using on TV? What is the cost of that compared to standard fiberglass...

Foam Board Insulation around perimier of slab [ 7 Answers ]

I'm looking at finishing my basement. I have noticed that around all of the edges of the slab there is 1" blue foam board insulation between the slab and the wall/foundation. The only concern I have is the ability to attach a carpet tack strip close to the wall. Should I have other concerns? If...

Foam insulation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,I have a 40x50x12 metal building and I am thinking about insulating the ceiling with spray foam insulation the following are questions that I would like opinions on. (1) how thick do I need to put it on. (2) how much it might cost at the thickness I will need to get decent (r) value (3)...

Poured Concrete Steps on Concrete Patio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently had a large portion of my driveway torn out/replaced, a 12 x 18 patio poured, and 3 half moons steps poured, all of 6 bag mix concrete. The flatwork looks great, virtually flawless. The steps, on the other hand, don't. After removing the forms/frame for the three...

Untreated 2X6 on poured concrete pony wall (above ground) [ 7 Answers ]

Seeking confirmation that my / our understanding is correct. Both of us have heard / understood that untreated (lumber yard lumber) is not to be placed (fastened down) on top of concrete. The contractor placed a 2X6 (untreated) directly on top of a 6"W poured concrete wall with NO metal...

View more questions Search