Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormcrow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 12:05 PM
    f1-h1 social security and medicare
    I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was :

Jan-Oct : F1/OPT
    Oct-Dec : H1

My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1.
    While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per calendar year, and I was on f1 status at the start of the calendar year, I can ask for a refund of the amt charged between oct-dec.
    I want to double check this.

Thanks
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Aug 14, 2006, 01:10 PM
    The exemption from social security tax applies only while you are in F-1 status. It does not apply when you are H1-B. See the following from the IRS website:

F-visas, J-visas, M-visas, Q-visas. Nonresident alien students, scholars, professors, teachers, trainees, researchers, and other aliens temporarily present in the United States in F-1,J-1,M-1, or Q-1/Q-2 nonimmigrant status are exempt from Social Security / Medicare Taxes on wages paid to them for services performed within the United States as long as such services are allowed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for these nonimmigrant statuses, and such services are performed to carry out the purposes for which they were admitted into the United States.
    Exempt Employment includes:
    On-campus student employment up to 20 hours a week (40 hrs during summer vacations)
    Off-campus student employment allowed by USCIS
    Practical Training student employment on or off campus
    On-campus employment as professor, teacher or researcher
    Limitations on exemption:
    The exemption does not apply to spouses and children in F-2, J-2, M-2, or Q-3 nonimmigrant status.
    The exemption does not apply to employment not allowed by USCIS or to employment not closely connected to the purpose for which they were admitted into the United States.
    The exemption does not apply to nonimmigrants in F-1,J-1,M-1,or Q-1/Q-2 status who change nonimmigrant status to a status which is not exempt or to a special protected status. The exemption does not apply to nonimmigrants in F-1,J-1,M-1, or Q-1/Q-2 status who become resident aliens for tax purposes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 14, 2006, 03:59 PM
    TaxSearcher says it all quite nicely.
    mashalc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
    What about the following similar situation:

June08 - Dec08 (calendar year 2008, F-1 visa holder), by mistake my employer withheld SS and Medicare.

Jan 09 - June 09 - still F-1, no SS and Medicare withheld

June 09 - present - changed to H-1 visa status, SS and Medicare withheld, plus paid back SS and Medicare taxes retroactively from Jan 09 - June 09, since changed visa status in that calendar year.

Now I want to get my SS and Medicare taxes from June08 - Dec 08, the calendar year that I was on F-1 visa status, but my employer says I do not qualify. Is he right?
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 02:23 PM
    You DO qualify for a refund of the FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes withheld from June 2008 through December 2008. Your employer CAN still get this refund processed, and should be willing to do so because, for every dollar you get refunded, he gets a dollar as well.

You can find the regulatory citation in IRS Pub 519, pages 49-52, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service.

If your employer does NOT want to cooperate, try to get a refusal letter on company letterhead citing the amount of FICA taxes withheld for the period in question.

You would then need to submit the letter, plus other support documentation, along with Form 843 and 8316, to the IRS to request the refund of the FICA taxes yourself.

The letter DOES expedite the process, but is NOT absolutely essential to getting the FICA taxes back.
    Dawn721 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 10:12 PM
    What is social security and medicare refunds do they pay me
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 07:25 AM
    What was your visa status when the FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes were withheld?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security and Medicare tax [ 10 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a student. After I graduated from university, I've worked under H1b status from Oct. 15, 2004 to Feb. 12, 2006. However, on Feb. 18, 2006 I left US permanently, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social Security and medicare tax [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Experts, My company agreed to pay me 55% of revenue the project when I given my project to them. The company deducting royalty fees, social security tax and medicare tax of employer contribution taken from 55% from the revenue. My offerletter doesn't say about this. I am holding h1 visa...

Medicare & Social Security Tax [ 7 Answers ]

Hi ATE: If I want to claim for the Medicare & Social Security Tax during my OPT year (mid 2004 - mid2005) right now, is it possible? The situation is that I'm not a valid alien anymore since I've returned to my country on mid 2005. Thanks, Jesslyn

Social security and medicare tax exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Tax Expert, My wife came to the U.S. on Aug. 26 2000, she thought she could be exempted from social security and medicare tax until Aug. 26, 2005, is that correct? Thanks a lot

View more questions Search