Feb 11, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Unethical Business practice
    I had worked in a start up
    Firm a decade ago for a year + in Bangalore (India), but
    I was not being paid for my services. They issued me a
    Certificate that I worked there for the duration but did
    Not pay me any kind of compensation. The agreement was they
    Would allow me to work on their software projects and I
    Could use the experience for building my career.
    My current employer (with whom I have been employed for 5
    Years) now says that their background check failed for this
    Particular company ( which I worked for free 10 yrs ago) and is now
    Asking me to provide tax returns or bank statements showing
    Proof of payment from that start up.I am in no position to
    Provide that, and they are using this reason to lay me off
    Without a severance package due to bad market conditions in
    The software industry. They are not ready to accept the
    Employers experience certificate or referrals as a means of proof for my
    Employment during that period.
    The previous employer wrote amail to my current employer confirming my employment, however my current employer is not ready to accept this.My current employer did not raise any issue while hiring me (though background checks were done at that time) and now uses this as a reason to fire me. I am currently in California and have been here on a L1 A visa (transfered from India office) since 2005.
    The fact that the organization has employed me since 5 years and now questioning an employment which happened 10 years ago itself smells of a ploy. However I am not the only one facing this, its happening to many people in the organization.What step could I take to prevent this unethical practice in the company?Is there an authority I could complain to? The last few weeks have caused a lot of mental annoyance as I feel my integrity and credibility is at stake, in addition to feeling insulted, victimized, troubled, discriminated & humiliated. This has affected my work performance in the current project and created a hostile environment for my future projects, in addition to a sudden deterioration in my personal life & health too. I would like to report the Harassment caused to me by my organization,this experience has put me and my family in great pain.Please help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:45 PM

Hello A:

Unless you have an employment contract, or are a member of a union, or unless there were special guarantees made due to your immigration status, you are employed "at will".

That's a legal term meaning they can fire you at any time and for any reason whatsoever.

Given the above, you have no recourse.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unethical bank [ 1 Answers ]

My bank coerced my business partner into signing my name to loan documents a conversion of a line of credit to an installment agreement loan to cover the loan officer's mistakes. I am upset over this, the interest is absorbent, we have excellent credit. I would never have agreed to these terms. The...

Illegal or just unethical [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lacey, Wa. I am on Sec. 8. The mobile home I was scheduled: to get inspected and move into today was sold by the owner this weekend. I have a intent to lease from him by his setting up an inspection by the housing auth. And him telling me I could move in today. I had all the utilities...

Unethical lawyer [ 1 Answers ]

excon, I settled the case may 18th. And my lawyer has been my only contact, as the company is in Florida. He said 2nd week of June then third then end of month or shortly thereafter, then he hasn't heard anything as of 07/06/2007. He just doesn't sound right on the phone gut feeling. That's why...

Credit Reporting Agency/fradulent business practice [ 1 Answers ]

Can a suit be filed against a credit reporting agency, such as experian? Credit Bureau was notified in writing with supporting documents regarding a rental contract and fees, response was "checked" only. Contract was for my daughter, I did not co-sign, copy of original sent to bureau. Also, at...

Unethical? [ 3 Answers ]

Is this ethical? It seems to me that if something is illegal, and it would violate Forum Rules to post links in reference to it, then ANY help in finding such tools would be unethical. Anyone else? Scott<>

View more questions Search