Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 14, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Disturbing Movie Haunting Me
    I watched a documentary this weekend that I can't get loose from like a bad nightmare... called The Grizzly Man. It's the story of Tim Treadwell who was killed by a bear in Alaska in 2003. It was listed on my online dvd rental site and without looking too closely at the description, I sent for it. I was caught up in it like someone gawking at auto accident type carnage. It seemed to me a senseless exploitation of an obviously mentally ill person and a sad expose on a culture that values adult rights over appropriate care for the seriously ill. I saw everyone around him look the other way too - ugh! That really upsets me. And the poor bears! I am not easily upset but I have to say this did a good job of it. Maybe it's that I have known too many just like him and I know how badly they live. Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else has seen it and has a different take on it?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
    I know the story well. Tim Treadwell is a hero to some and an idiot to others. For me, it's the latter.

He took stupid chances getting so near the bears - and worse yet put his girlfriend in mortal danger. I don't think he was mentally ill. I just think he got too comfortable with the bears, but should have known better.

A very sad story, indeed.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Aug 15, 2006, 03:44 AM
    I haven't seen the movie but have read a lot of articules about it.
    There is a really good one here

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=19191

From what I read he wasn't mentally ill just a little stupid.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 03:56 AM
    This was an interesting story of a guy who wanted to be like the bears. The footage was awesome and you had to admit he was brave or crazy. They also have a recording of his death that has never been released. Did you know he was credited with the decline of poaching bears in Alaska? Right after his death they say the rate of bear poaching rose significantly. No doubt though his and his girlfriends death was a tragedy which left me with the thought that maybe you should not get to close to the animals because when they get hungry you will look like a meal to them.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2006, 06:31 PM
    The guy was an idiot and he is responsible for his girl friend's death. He could have just went to the zoo and got the job done a lot more quick and cheaper!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Funny this is posted now. Primetime had a show about him last night.

Apparently he tried out for the role of Woody Harrelson on Cheers and only came in "second" for the part. That was what began his mental decline. He became a drug addict and alcoholic. After going to Alaska and coming face to face with a grizzly he never drank or drugged again. But according to his parents, the damage was already done.

T-Man is correct when he spoke of the poaching decline and rapid increase after Tim's death.

But in my opinion the man was seriously mentally ill.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Yeah, I know Janine, I tend to be "psychic" like that LOL. I watch almost no TV but my husband does so I occasionally join him and what did I sit down to but that program! :eek:

I appreciate all your posts, and the links are interesting but the thing I was mostly wondering is after watching all the footage of him offered in that movie, does he seem sane or ill? Not that it doesn't factor in, but stupidity is another aspect all together. I just think the footage is very telling and its easy not to get the whole story without it... I am betting that almost no one who saw it will think of him as sane and if there is someone who still thinks he is sane, I would be interested in hearing other views from them too... that's all.

What is written about him is all very conflicting so I am discounting a lot of it.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Aug 23, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Val... I read this post when it was first posted, the day we were to leave on a camping trip, thank you. LOL. I haven't seen the movie but I read the article that was provided. It was disturbing just reading about it. I am terrified of bears, but I would like to see the movie, I think.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Aug 23, 2006, 11:58 AM
    I too saw this story on Primetime "Outsiders" Special the other night... it was very interesting to me. I think it was kind of neat how he got so close to those bears, but I think it was very stupid and careless of him to get his G/F involved resulting in both of them getting killed so viscously by the very thing he was obsessed with. I think it was a very sad story, though I have not seen the movie, but would like to. I think this man possibly had some mental issues, but I do think he did some good with those bears too. I, however, feel very sorry that he put his G/F in such harms way, she obviously didn't know what she was getting into. Bears are wild animals. Wild animals cannot be 100% trusted EVER.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2006, 08:34 PM
    I saw the documentary today. I have to say that I love nature, and have lived in Alaska in almost similar circumstances. I believe he started with a true love of nature and of animals. However, I do believe that a form of insanity, if you will, took over his mind.

It was sad to watch a reasonably healthy man mentally deteriorate as he did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very Very Vague Description of 80's Children Movie... Need movie title [ 8 Answers ]

Ok there's probably no hope here but I'll try anyway... There is a movie I watched when I was very young and would like to get a hold of it. It was in the mid 80's when I watched it but the movie could have been made in the 70's sometime. Pretty much the only part I can remember is these...

Strange, disturbing dreams [ 67 Answers ]

Please tell me its normal to have weird ****ed up dreams when you're pregnant... I'm having all these dreams of blood and the baby being born dead and the baby screaming and reaching out to me, etc. Ugh. I had one last night that seemed to last the WHOLE night and it was really sick and disgusting....

Lien is haunting me! [ 3 Answers ]

An old lien came up 2 years ago when I bought a house right before I divorced my husband. My husband and I agreed that we would split our debt and when I made settlement my lawyer told me to say that it was not my debt. I did a quit claim and my husband sold the house. My lawyer told me that my...

$5.00 unpaid bill haunting me [ 3 Answers ]

I owed $5.00 on doctor's bill that was delinquent for a few years. I did not have enough cash to pay it at the time and due to negligence on my part, let it go. Called their office to make an appt a year later, and they told me I could not see the doctor due to unpaid bill. Asked to pay it and...

Who is haunting my house? [ 2 Answers ]

We have been living here for 2 years. The energy is mostly in the back bedroom. It is not a negative energy, though sometimes a bit cranky, like the rest of us. I believe it to be a young female. I feel her mostly in the evening. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just curious who and why. My...

View more questions Search