Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Are online dating or meeting services okay?
    Does anyone have an opinion about whether online dating/meet-up services are worthwhile? I've heard some pro's and con's.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 03:59 PM

I don't trust them personally, they just kind of scare me. But at the same time I hear they work so I get why people would use them.

In my opinion, a spark is a mixture of aspects complimenting each other i.e. physical attraction, humour etc, and it's essential.

I think one boarders on the line of 'plastic' when using these sites.

Also as we can see from the posts here, people lie.

It's a fact of life but it's made alot easier when you're staring at a screen rather than into someone's eyes.
    CrazyThumper Posts: 82, Reputation: 36

Feb 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Cadillac- honestly I feel there is nothing wrong with a few of them. Some you have to pay for, so the people that are using them are often really looking to meet new people and not have any BS attached along with it. The way I see it- you can put yourself out there, start talking to new people, get to know them the best you can on the computer. THEN you can talk on the phone and possibly set up a time/place to have some lunch/coffee whatever. THAT is no different then meeting a total stranger at a bar, talking for a few minutes and then calling them to set something up. Frankly- meeting people online allows you to be a little more specific as to what you are looking for, pros and cons. Those sites have a lot of questions! Just go into it with an open mind, and if you meet someone nice- awesome! If you meet someone and they weren't what you expected- no big deal.. you live laugh and move on :)

Thump
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 04:18 PM

Where you from cadillac?
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    Where you from cadillac?
    Northern California, San Franciso Bay area (the best part).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 04:54 PM

I have currently dated on them wtihout a lot of issues. But they are just like any other meeting, lets say you meet a person in the produce isle. You don't know anything about them. So you have to check on them and be careful
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 04:59 PM

Well in Ireland, I don't know if it's true in the states, but gay dating/chat sites are usually used for getting some. ;) Is it the same in the states?
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    Well in Ireland, I don't know if it's true in the states, but gay dating/chat sites are usually used for getting some. ;) Is it the same in the states?
    I'm gay so I'd be only interested obviously in a gay site. But yes, in the states it seems most of the gay sites are what we call "hook-up" sites. I can't say this is categorically all you get out of them --a one nighter. All sorts of people participate and there are some guys on those sites who prefer taking things slower than many others--you know the romantic evening out to dinner and a movie, that sort of thing:).
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    I'm gay so I'd be only interested obviously in a gay site.
    Yes I know this, why else would I bring it up? Although 'gay life' is very topical at the moment I don't think any straight person would be that interested in the goings-on of the gay chat sites! :D
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:46 PM

There's nothing wrong with giving something a chance. You might or might not meet someone worth while but at least you gave it a go. Love can be found in many places and since you already know the pros and cons the next step you make towards this decision is totally up to you.

One of my closest friend met her husband on a chatline.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:55 PM

Had to spread the rep liz but I totally agree, love can be found in the strangest of places!
    Dare81 Posts: 264, Reputation: 44

Feb 11, 2009, 08:10 PM

I am from the bay area too cadilac, and a couple of my friends tried match.com and a couple of other websites. They said it wasn't too bad.One is in a long term relationship with a girl he met on match.com
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dare81 View Post
    I am from the bay area too cadilac, and a couple of my friends tried match.com and a couple of other websites. They said it wasnt too bad.One is in a long term relationship with a girl he met on match.com
    I'll check it out but I'm only interested in an exclusively gay site for men. I'm not interested in one of those that are mixed hetero-gay. I find it really annoying to have to enter the site and sort through half-naked women's pictures to get to the gay part, not to mention having to constantly delete the emails from women looking for men that for some reason always wind up in your email inbox.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Online dating [ 20 Answers ]

I meet a guy on myspace and he told me I can come visit him in California whenever? Should I go for it ? I know he has 1 picture on his page... Is there any safety steps I should take... I will be staying at his house and he will pay for my ticket thanks

Meeting a girl I've been talking to online in real life for the first time... [ 66 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl from Match.com for a few weeks now on AIM and on the phone, and tomorrow night we're meeting for the first time in real life. I'm keeping it to a short and casual dinner after we both get off work. Any advice? I've never done this before and I'm kind of...

Online dating [ 31 Answers ]

Anyone experience with meeting someone after talking to them for months? The aniticipation?

Dating online [ 27 Answers ]

Hi, I "met" a man on a dating site a few months ago. We are a bit far from each other so we have not met yet. We are not kids anymore :) At the beginning he was too fast for me, sending tons of emails every day, then we started to communicate on the phone and webcam. But he disappeared...

Online Dating [ 3 Answers ]

Im curious now. I have come across plenty of upset ladies because their men are registered on online dating. Is that considered cheating? (I suppose in the cyber world if there are flirts and emails going on with a complete stranger than that's saying something isnt)?

View more questions Search