Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vfranco05 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Breach of Contract
    Hi, I have question to ask, I signed my lease for a certain amount, and I received a note saying that I owed money, when I went to go see what my note was about, they raised my rent and said they made a mistake on my original lease agreement, when I asked to see a copy of my lease agreement they drew a line over the original rent amount and put a new amount with the mangers initials. Can they do this, even though I signed my agreement with the original amount of rent?. help please :(
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 03:29 PM

No, the original amount you agreed to stands. How much of an increase did they try to request?

Feb 11, 2009, 03:39 PM
    40 bucks, I know it doesn't sound like much, but 805 is quite a bit for me... since I am a full time student and can only work so much you know
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 03:43 PM

I would send them a letter stating that you have a signed lease agreement which states you will pay the original amount per month. A landlord needs to typically give a tenant 30 days notice before raising rent, although I don't believe it's allowed when a rental agreement is signed. I hope you didn't sign the new lease with the crossed-out amount on it..

Feb 11, 2009, 03:50 PM

No, I signed my lease with the original amount in December!.
    I'm trying to get as much information as I can so I can dispute them with facts and not so much with words and proof of receipts and how they don't even out... thanks for the information I really appreciate it!.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 04:00 PM

Which state is this in? Your state law may vary from the norm, but most states don't allow a landlord to just up the rent and claim they made a "mistake."

Feb 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
    I live in Tx, I looked at the property code and it states that the lease is a legal document that everyone must abide to it... so hopefully I can fix this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breach of contract [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a contract to buy and put up 1000.00 earnest money . I know my cash is gone , but the contractor built a garage because it was stated that we asked for it in the contract which we did , but it has taken a lot longer than expected and the times seem to be getting tougher ,so can we breach...

Breach of contract. [ 2 Answers ]

Critically asses the remedies for breach of contract in the context of sale of goods act of 1892 (cap 82), while quoting the law and citing the cases..

Breach of contract [ 15 Answers ]

Greetings, My daughter is 14 and has been raised Catholic since birth. She now lives with me and goes to a Catholic school for girls. I had applied for a scholarship for the school and it asked what church we are members of. I named the parish and everything was fine. The due date to turn in...

Breach of Contract [ 4 Answers ]

Buyer A buys a house and a large lot in an upscale neighborhood. The previous owner left the property a mess and Buyer A's new neighbors were delighted by the prospect of Buyer A cleaning up the place. Both neighbors had their homes up for sale and knew that if Buyer A spruced up the house and...

Breach Of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

In My Father's Legal Separation Papers, It Is Stated That Upon His Death, All Of His Land And Home Goes To His Legally Separated Wife With The Exception Of One Acre That Is To Be Given To His Daughter. He Died In July, 2006 And In September, She Deeded All Of The Land To Her Son. The Legal...

View more questions Search