Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwerner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
    HIPAA violation in Medical Practice
    We are in a debate in the office. Is it a criminal and/or civil offense to dispose of a patients name on paperwork that only has the patient's name and possibly the name of the facility but no other information like DOB, ACCOUNT #, etc.:confused:

I feel anything that has account numbers, names, just about anything that has patient data even without a name should be shredded?

Thanks,

Las Vegas, NV
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 02:49 PM

Shread everything. It's a civil offense.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 02:51 PM

Yeah, in case of doubt shred it to be safe
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:32 AM

I'm amazed that it's not office policy to routine shred everything so that if anything ever does get out the answer isn't, "Not possible, we shred everything."
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 07:37 AM
    The answer is YES. It is a HIPAA violation not to shred anything that has ANY patient info on it whatsoever. Names only included.

What if this patient was a No Publish? Meaning that they want no one to know that they are a patient, what their diagnosis is, and what their treatment is. If this info is not shredded, it is available to anyone who looks through the trash.

You are the winner in the debate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation [ 15 Answers ]

If I am working as a certified nursing assistant on a skilled nursing unit and I get into a patients chart to call a patients family member for my own personal gains, is that a hipaa violation and can I be terminated?

Medical/HIPAA Compliance [ 2 Answers ]

My questions: Can my employer gain my medical information without a release from my personal doctor and use that information to force me on short term disability? Can my doctor release my medical information to my employer without a release? What type of attorney could handle this and give...

HIPAA violation [ 6 Answers ]

I work in a medical office that is part of a local hospital. A few years ago after being hospitalized on an urgent basis I was diagnosed with a chronic medical condition. I was off work for 1 week. During this week I happened to run into a co-worker. When I started to talk with her about my...

Re-release of hipaa medical information? [ 5 Answers ]

Can a hospital emergency room release medical information to a bill collector if they lost the patient information release authorization? Is that release considered lawful? Richl

View more questions Search