Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mh26261 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Washer drain backed up
    When my washer drains, it backs up into my nearby heating duct. My home is a slab home. Without tearing up the floor, how can I tell if I have a leak in my drain or if it is just clogged?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mh26261
    When my washer drains, it backs up into my nearby heating duct. My home is a slab home. Without tearing up the floor, how can I tell if I have a leak in my drain or if it is just clogged?
    You aren't telling me that you have a crossconnection between your sewer and your heating/AC ducts are you? Where does the washer discharge come out of when it backs up? What floor is the washer on? Slab house or do you have a basement? Give me all the details you can. Thanks, tom

Aug 14, 2006, 03:00 PM
    My house is a slab home, one story.
    When the washer drains, I see water coming into the heating duct 4 feet away, but no other places in the house.
    I've had clogs in the past where water came up into the floor, but this is not happening now.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2006, 06:29 AM
    My house is a slab home, one story.
    When the washer drains, I see water coming into the heating duct 4 feet away, but no other places in the house.
    I've had clogs in the past where water came up into the floor, but this is not happening now.
    I still don't understand. Where is this heating duct located? In the floor? Since the two systems are separate and isolated from one another how can the discharge from one enter another? Please explain. Regards. Tom

Aug 15, 2006, 02:42 PM
    I can see only so far into the heating duct (in the floor) so I cannot answer your question of where it is coming from, except that I see it with a flashlight when the washer drains.
    How discharge from one can enter another is what I hoped to find out.
    Do I have a clog or a leak?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2006, 03:31 PM
    I can see only so far into the heating duct (in the floor) so I cannot answer your question of where it is coming from, except that I see it with a flashlight when the washer drains.
    How discharge from one can enter another is what I hoped to find out.
    Do I have a clog or a leak??
    It sounds like you may have both. If you can see no moisture on the floor that might leak down into the duct then the water's coming in from the washer drain pipe that's supposed to be a sealed drainage system. To tell you more one would have to be there. My advice wold be to call in a plumber and find out what's going on. Sorry ,Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

Washer backed up into toliets and tub [ 3 Answers ]

I was washing the other day and heard water running. The toilet and bath tub was filling up with water. Went out to garage and washer drain was making a gurgling sound. Was wondering what I should do to fix this? This has never happened before. Carol

Covert washer drain to tub drain? [ 3 Answers ]

My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.

Troubleshooting Backed up Drain issue [ 1 Answers ]

This seems obvious, but I have learned to never assume things. I am having problems with drainage backup to my Septic tank. The toilet will flush once, then the second time it backs up and some water will backup into the tub. The tub also backs up after showering for 2-3 minutes. It will backup...

New shower - backed up drain causing leak [ 1 Answers ]

Two months ago, we installed a new stone tile shower -the contractor installed a lead shower pan along with cement bed. Tiles were installed using thin set + Laticrete Superflexible Adhesive; tiles/grout were sealed with 511 impregnator. The shower drain recently backed up creating a 1-inch pool...

View more questions Search