Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1200c Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 10:23 AM
    2/0 GA wire splices, safe? Pass inspection?
    Help please... I am wiring a mobile home from the main breaker box inside to the power pole (200 amp) outside. The mobile home movers cut my wiring where it comes out underneath the home. I have used the aluminum splices that tighten down with allen screws and then wrapped them with about a half a roll of electrical tape. All of this is in a waterproof electrical conduit box. My concerns are... 1. is this safe and 2. will it pass inspection?

Thanks for the help in advance

Dalton
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 12:16 PM

This will not likely pass an inspection but do you know if you will be inspected? Taping a spice with no box is not a safe connection. Installing a junction box would be a better solution.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:38 PM

Is it the Polaris Tap? Also I would wrap with "Rubber Tape" then Electrical Tape.

Feb 12, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    This will not likely pass an inspection but do you know if you will be inspected?? Taping a spice with no box is not a safe connection. Installing a junction box would be a better solution.
    Hey and thanks for the replys,

I am in a box and will definitely be inspected. This is the splice I used...

CABLE SPLICER/REDUCER by Thomas & Betts - More Wiring connectors and terminals at doitbest.com

I wanted to get some input before an inspection from here but I called and spoke with one of the inspectors and was told as long as it is rated for the application it will pass.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dalton
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 05:07 PM

Here's what I was thinking of:
    NSi Industries: Polaris Black

Feb 13, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Here's what I was thinking of:
    NSi Industries: Polaris Black
    Very nice... Whish I had seen these before I used what I used. I had an electrician look at my work today before inspections on Monday and he did not see any problems. Crossing my fingers.

D
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 05:30 PM

Maybe look at it a Month from now, if insulation is burnt or melted, to see if it is a loose connection.
    Good Luck, Take Care

Feb 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Maybe look at it a Month from now, if insulation is burnt or melted, to see if it is a loose connection.
    Good Luck, Take Care
    The inspector had me further insulate the wires by putting some rubber between them. I passed today. Thanks for the input.

D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will this rough in pass inspection? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Doing an extensive DYI rehab on a single family home in NJ. The short question is does this look like it will meet code? The Galvanized Pipe and the cast iron stack it is attached to will be removed when I get this hooked up. My concerns are: I did not put a vent up on the tub on the right...

Will my truck pass inspection? [ 8 Answers ]

About a month ago, my truck started making this weird noise. I took it in to the garage, and they told me one of the axles was broken, but it would be OK to drive until I could come up with the money to get it fixed. I finally was able to take it to get a fixed a week before christmas, but I had to...

Car won't pass inspection, no title, no car, big loan [ 4 Answers ]

#1 Report Inappropriate Post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/amhd_imgs/statusicon/post_old.gif Yesterday, 03:54 PM jpt123svt vbmenu_register("postmenu_1114330", true); New Member https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/amhd_imgs/statusicon/user_offline.gif Join Date: Jun 2008 Posts: 1 ...

OBD II reading "Not Ready" - can't pass inspection [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I have a 1999 Saturn SL and live in NY. My car went for inspection about 10 days ago and couldn't do the emissions test because my on board diagnostic computer was "not ready" for 4 tests: Catalyst EGR Evap System O2 sensors I was told to "drive it for a while" or do a drive cycle...

Ideal Tap Splices for Phone Wire [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Group! Would anyone tell me how to use the name band Ideal Tap Splice #85-900? How do these differ from the butt splices? Any Help appreciated. I don't know squat about running phone lines.:o

View more questions Search