Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klreid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Remove family member in Minnesota
    My daughter is 23-year and lives with me. I told her to move out and she will not. She drinks everyday, has her boyfriend enter the home at night, and does not pay rent or look for work.

Last night her boyfriend entered through the window and I asked him to leave. He then went with her to sleep in the car near the garage. I called the police and they sent him away three times! The fourth time he called and the police said I would be taken to jail if they were called again. He then broke open the window to let my daughter in.

I was told by the police that I would have to evict my daughter, otherwise she could do as she likes.

What are my options? I am a homeowner and do not want my daughter or her boyfriend coming in. She will not leave and he will not stop entering the house.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 07:48 AM

File for eviction at your county courthouse. I might be wrong, but I believe you can only file against your daughter, as her boyfriend doesn't actually reside at your house.

If you don't file for eviction, she and her boyfriend will continue to come into your house at their leisure, just like the police told you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2009, 09:49 AM

This has some interesting twists. I do agree with This8384 that you need to formally evict her. Check with your local courts for the process. Generally, you need to serve her with a notice giving her 30 days to vacate. If she doesn't, then you file in court for an eviction order. A hearing is held and the court will issue the order. If she still doesn't move, then you hire a sheriff to physically move her.

But the boyfriend issue is another matter. At this point she is a resident and is entitled to have guests. She can let the boyfirend in by the front door. However, the boyfriend CANNOT sneak in and definitiely can't break in (open a window). When he did that you could have called the cops and had him arrested for breaking and entering.

Also with the sleeping in the car, If the car was parked on your property, you may have had the right to have it removed, but if they were on the street other laws apply.

Bottomline, is tell your daughter to get out or you will evict her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it normally take for a family member to adopt another family member [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I am in the process of adopting my nephew. I have had him since he was born and started the adoption in 05 I did home study, background check, etc in first year. Two years later I got transfer of custody. It is now going on the third year and the adoption is still not final. How long...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Missing Minnesota family [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone remember a news story/documentary that was shown in the northeast on either channel 9 or 11 in the late 1990's about a family that was missing from Minnesota and was abducted through aliens and the incident was recorded by their camcorder- the beginning of the show had a police officer...

Remove a family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can I remove an adult family member from my home She does not follow any rules and does not help out or do anything. She comes and goes when she feels like it and is upsetting the house hold

View more questions Search