Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparklemom Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Toxic parents
    I have removed myself and my family from a very emotionally and verbally abusive relationship with my Dad. It was a discision I didn't take lightly. Here is my question. Why is it when I will not go somewhere where I think he may be, my mom accuses me of being selfish, uncaring, etc etc. I won't put myself (or my family) in a situation where I feel uncomfortable and suffer anxiety. Why won't she respect my feelings?

Mom of 3
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:21 AM

She still has a feeling of loyalty to your father. Perhaps she is incapable of seeing your side of the story and just wishes the family could be united.As a Mom of three,you know that we are generally the peacekeepers in the family.
    This is just speculation but maybe she wants or expects that you will change your mind and stop the no contact with Dad.

Feb 11, 2009, 06:44 AM

Ya I would agree that she wants me to change my mind. What she can't see is the mountains of pain he has caused me. Her too in fact. He hates everyone in her family, my brother is divorced (due to his interferring) my sister can't stay in a relationship either.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 11:29 AM

Stay away and work on yourself with a therapist so you can diffuse anger and allow yourself to grow.

People often have to leave their families behind due to emotional abuse while they are growing. :)

Best wishes,

Feb 11, 2009, 01:47 PM
    I just found out today, that my dad beat my mom. My former sister-in-law told me. I don't know what to do with this new info or even how to process it.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 11, 2009, 02:17 PM

First, be sure sis-in-law is accurate. Where did she get her info? How reliable is it? Why did she tell you this? Was this a regular occurrence or a one time event?

Feb 11, 2009, 02:46 PM
    My brother told her, then once they were divorced a cousin of mine also approached her I guess. I don't have any more info. But she said we would talk tonight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Toxic Flea repellent [ 13 Answers ]

Does anyone use a natural flea repellent for their dog? Does it work? How often do you use it?

Toxic shame [ 13 Answers ]

What do you know about Toxic shame? This is a little I have read about it,how does this affect what we do as addicts? Addicts often carry a lot of shame which should not be theirs. Dealing with shame and absolving oneself of blame are important steps. When a child grows up with people who...

ABS Pipe Toxic [ 2 Answers ]

Does ABS pipe give off a toxic oily residue? I have a fish pond and each year for the past two years my fish have died. The only difference during the past two years from previous years is my having replaced the PCV pipe within the pond with ABS pipe because ABS piping is black and is not visible...

Non-toxic Finish Remover [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a product, either homemade or to purchase, to remove the finishes on furniture, woodwork or floors that is non-toxic? I think that I know of one that is called FastOrange? Any other Ideas? I am trying to help a friend to refinish his oak floors in an old house. I already...

Subtle Toxic Exposure? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All: I am writing to ask about the safety of long-term exposure to things that we pay little attention to. I was wondering about --city tap water-- and the exposure of chlorine over time. Is this a possible cancer cause to felines? Would bottled water be a better diet? I realize rural area...

View more questions Search