Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justincaseme Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 01:06 AM
    Safety glasses and dust masks - dealing with fogged lenses
    This is an unusual question. I'm really curious to know how most folks in the construction trades avoid the problem of fogged safety lenses. After trying several combination of glasses, goggles, and dust masks, I'm starting to think it's unusually bad for me. Maybe my eyes leak air as I breath, or maybe the crown of my nose isn't the right shape. I find the only way I can avoid fogged lenses is to let the glasses droop all the way down near the end of my nose. That really leaves my eyes a lot more exposed than I'd like, and it's uncomfortable!

In the beginning, I tried variations on the standard basic masks sold by Lowe's and Home Depot. You know the ones. They all look similar to this.

Pair those with laboratory style goggles and it's a recipe for fog! So I tried switching to different pairs of safety glasses, like the kind carpenters usually wear. No good either.

I found some slight improvement when I paired the glasses with medical procedure masks. You can buy these on eBay for cheap. They're also more comfortable and block about the same amount of dust, but they still can't solve the fog issue.

There's one solution where I found total success. That's with the 3M 6000 Full Face Mask. This is the only way to go if you're removing an asbestos ceiling, and it's much more comfortable if you need to venture into a tight dusty crawl space. Still, because it's full isolation you need to work harder to breath and it's not something you can wear for long periods. With one of these guys, you end up needing a breathing break every 15 or 20 minutes or else you end up exhausted. Highly recommended, but only good in specific situations.

So what do the pros like to do?
    Suppose you have a big pile of boards to cut and you're going to be there a while. Or maybe you're framing a new section of ceiling in a renovation project, and the existing attic is dropping out all kinds of dust and insulation. How do you protect your eyes, protect your lungs, work in comfort, and still be able to see?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 12, 2009, 01:13 PM

This is actually a pet peeve of mine. Almost all the carpenters we have ever hired never wear masks and hardly ever wear glasses.

We always have the 3m dust masks available on site and they never get used. I wear them all the time for any demolition and anything to do with concrete (mixing concrete/ cutting hardie board). I normally won't for cutting wood: I have a vacuum system on my table saw and otherwise don't find that circular saws kick up enough dust to worry about because we're not cutting that much.

Goggles will always fog up. I've stopped using them. Fog is not normally a problem with glasses with the 3m masks (I don't mean the full face masks, but the 8210 - not 8000, 8100 or 8200. The metal piece is strong enough that when you bend it around your nose, it stops your breath from heading up to your glasses. And the two sets of surgical tubing are strong enough to actually keep the mask flat to your face over your whole face.

The weaker masks at the big box stores just don't work - invariably there is a gap between your mask and face where you breathe in unfiltered dust.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 02:34 PM

You can always go for an air-powered respirator such as this one. MSA Optimair MM 2K PAPR Battery Powered Air Respirator - eBay (item 250371788879 end time Feb-17-09 15:17:21 PST)

Which uses a battery pack. For more comfort the air can be supplied remotely.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 03:22 PM

I have been using this 3M Dust Mask 8233, N100 - Mfg# 3M-8233 it has a valve that releases your breath through the front rather than leaking around the sides. On all disposable masks you must form that aluminium strip to fit tightly over the bridge of your nose.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 05:40 AM

Hi Justine
    I snorkel a lot and work in construction and for many years I use a no fog spray inside my safety glass's and reg glass. Especially on the ski type safety's. I used the logic 20 years ago when working in the Crib with safety's.
    Here is what I'm referring too. It works for me. It works best in ski safety glasss so no dirt gets in. They now use it for paint ball full protection mask. Its eye friendly

http://www.fognomore.com/products/1/no-fog-spray.html

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 09:40 AM

Justincaseme, yes I do tend to use that mask several times, it all depends on what I have been exposed to.
    luckycharm1978 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

Being in the military I constantly have to wear safety glasses and breathing masks my solution is just to use anti fog either spray or the wipe on stuff should be able to find it in any place that sells glasses

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A group of students and teacher being chased by men in masks? [ 3 Answers ]

An older movie, probably made in the 80's about a group of young students and teacher, being chased around the mountains by a group of men in masks? I do know that one of the men had a santa clause mask, and I think one of other the others was in a easter bunny mask.

Fogged mirrors [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the bathroom mirror become fogged while you are taking a shower?

View more questions Search