Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classicarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 11:47 PM
    Wrong Lab results left in message on Cell Phone
    A friend of mine had labs drawn and a message was left with results that he had hepetitis, when later he was left another message that they had given him the results for someone else. Neither of these messages were made to him in person. It could have been a WRONG number, and they WERE the wrong results. Is this a HIPPA Violation and whom do we report it to?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 12:21 PM

If they gave the wrong results, then they clearly had the wrong number. Did they state the other party's name when stating that they had been diagnosed with hepatitis?

Personally, I don't think you should report anything. Someone made an honest mistake when dialing your friend's number; it's not as if they were intentionally trying to release personal information about their patients.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 02:09 PM

The other person would have grounds to file a complaint (the one that actually had hepatitis) not your friend because THEIR test results were released to someone else.

Your friend should just forget about it and not create problems. Unless he had a bunch of unnecessary treatments because of these incorrect test results I think he has not case and it it sounds like they corrected themselves immediately.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2009, 02:15 PM

Agreed no HIPAA violation. And no real harm done since he was not told the name of the person who did have hepatitis and because the info was corrected quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from phone to computer? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from my cell phone onto my computer? I have a LG AX8600 cell phone. What type cord will I need to use for my computer and cell phone?

Your take on the results of my phone interview [ 5 Answers ]

I had a phone interview for a job on Friday. I am not quite sure how it went, but I am hoping for the best. The interviewer did say at the very beginning of the call that they received a lot of responses, so there is definitely competition!! Nearing the end of the call, the interviewer...

Blocked Phone number calling wireless cell phone [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my name is Jessica. Is there anyway anyone can help me figure out a blocked number that is calling my cell phone? If there is anyway to find out who the blokced number is that is really calling me.

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon? [ 5 Answers ]

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon?My contract is about to end.I want to switch to Verizon.So any suggestions?

Cell phone at 10 [ 7 Answers ]

My daughters birthday is On Friday and she's been asking for a cell phone. She does talk on the phone a lot. Im seriously considering giving her the cell phone line that my brother use to use. I don't know, any thoughts?

View more questions Search