Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dobiefloyd Posts: 67, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
    94 cadillac stalls
    I have a 94 cadillac eldorado that stalls when driving and will immediately restart and run for 5 to 10 minutes and shuts down again. I replaced the ignition module with a good used one and no change. Also I tried to check to see if there was any codes by jumping a&b but nothing happens, is this an OBD 2 car? The check engine light does not come on with ignition in the on position but does light up when the car dies. I'm thinking the computer is bad, any ides?

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 03:44 PM

Personally, I would go with a new Ignition Control Module and coil packs. These are very problematic components. Since you haven't replaced the coil packs yet, try that first.

Your car is OBD-I.

Feb 10, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Thank you

I bought a used ignition module and coils but only switched out the module not wanting to risk getting a bad coil since I knew the coils are fine. The car runs perfect when it is running. It will run fine for 5 to 10 minutes then shut down and restart and run fine. So if it's OBD 1 why can't I get the codes? If you explain how the system works I will understand. A new module is $300 and I'm sure 4 new coils are another $300 so I don't want to throw parts at it. Not that it should matter but I found an intake leak as well when the car was running after I made the repairs.

Thanks for the help,

Ed
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 07:08 PM

I can't tell you why you can't extract codes. Still, it smacks of a problem with the ICM and/or coil, whereby they are breaking down under load/heat. Obviously, the intake leak should be fixed--it's impossible for me to know how much it's affecting the problem, if any.

Feb 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Any thoughts on the code and light problem? Not to railroad the question but could that be a compuer problem also linked to a bad signal to the ICM? I do agree that it is an ICM/coil problem but will one bad coil cause all four to shut down? It's posible I got a bad "good" ICM but it runs exactly the same. I'll try swaping the coils with the esed ones and see what happens.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 04:10 PM

No real worthwhile additional thoughts.

Feb 11, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Any not worthwhile thoughts?
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:31 PM

Even though I'm not a fan of bench testing ICMs, due to unreliability, you might have your's tested on a Well's machine at AutoZone. Most stores will do this for free. I've seen some test fine that don't work at all.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 07:52 AM

Do you know how to use Cadillac's On-Board Diagnostics?
    You can check codes in many systems, and even some data (more on that later, if we have time).
    The operation is lengthy so I won't go into it here, but let me know if you want to learn more about your Cadillac. I can help.

Feb 12, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    Do you know how to use Cadillac's On-Board Diagnostics?
    You can check codes in many systems, and even some data (more on that later, if we have time).
    The operation is lengthy so I won't go into it here, but let me know if you want to learn more about your Cadillac. I can help.
    Thanks for the response
    I do not know anything about it, unless you are referring to reading the computer with a scanner? Would that explain my problem with jumping A&B together? Any thoughts on my specific problem.

Ed

Feb 15, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Well I switched out the coils and no change.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks

Feb 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dobiefloyd View Post
    Well I switched out the coils and no change.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Bump
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 07:01 AM

What other tests have you done on this? Do you lose spark or fuel pressure/volume?
    Fuel pressure leak-down can cause these symptoms.
    How "good" is your "good used" ignition module..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 cadillac sts rattling sound at 2800 rpms why [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 96 cad sts and it has 200,000 miles otherwise perfect cond. Prior owner used premium gas which is required. I was cheap started putting cheap gas in and I just started hearing a rattling noise at about 2800 rpms. Also when I first start it I hear a rattle and little puff...

2003 Cadillac - Houston, TX [ 1 Answers ]

2003 Cadillac available in Houston - Can I make an offer here? Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Cadillac cillanoid? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello all! I've got a 98 Deville that I love to pieces. Anyway, a while back, the service engine soon light came on and I took it to Aamco. Since I have a Northstar engine, the guys said they'd have to drop my whole engine to get to my tranny to even find the problem. Well I'm not made of money...

2002 Cadillac Blower Motor [ 3 Answers ]

The AC/Heater blower motor on our 2002 Cadillac Deville runs intermittantly. When I had it and the control circuit card out on the floorboard (connected electrically), the blower motor had little torque capability but ran normally and responded to the speed control selection. It took very little...

View more questions Search