Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xyz2206 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Payroll not withholding FICA taxes for non-resident who filed as resident.
    I am a non resident(five years on F1 completes in 2012) but will be filing 2008 taxes jointly with spouse who is a resident. As I found out I will need to start paying FICA taxes for 2009. However, my college payroll will not be deducting them from my salary since in their system I am non-resident until 2012. What should I do? Should I pay them with the 2009 return next year and will I be penalized for underpayment? Is there a way to keep paying in 2008?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 11:45 PM

You can not file 2008 tax return as resident. On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA taxes on Bonus for non-resident alient on OPT [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions. I am a non-resident alien who finished his MBA in May 08 and started job in July 08 on F1 visa(OPT). My status will switch to H1B visa from Oct 1 08. 1) What are the tax rates on Moving Bonus(lump sum) and Signing bonus ? Do I have to pay FICA tax(SS and...

Error in resident status in filed taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Dear experts Im a grad student from Denmark, who's been in the US on a F-1 visa since August 2006. Due to less than accurate information from the university I seem to have made errors in my filed taxes. August 2006 - dec. 2006: I filed my taxes on a 1040EZ, where I should have filed on a...

Taxes filed wrong - Non resident alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Brazil and have been living in the US (f-1 visa) since May 2005. I am a non resident alien. While I was in school, I did an internship at the same company from oct 2005 to feb 2007and I filed my taxes using turbo tax in 2005 and 2006. I used the 1040EZ form because I was not aware I...

FICA taxes when filing as resident [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I have already learned in this great forum (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/resident-non-resident-63992.html) that I need to file taxes for 2006 as a resident (thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert and taxsearcher!), since I have been in the country for more than 5 years. I am...

FICA taxes for Non-resident spouse treated as resident [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a resident alien for tax purposes. My wife was on F-1 till June 2006, then OPT till Nov 2006, and H-1 afterwards. We elected to treat her as a resident for tax purposes when filing returns for 2004 and 2005. My question is : Her employer did not withhold FICA taxes until she received her...

View more questions Search