Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robnm1360 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 12:13 PM
    1982 dodge truck alternator problems
    I have a 82 dodge d 150 with a 318 my truck was dying and was not charging so I changed the alternator and it worked until I turned on the headlights then it died I noticed that the belt was loose so I tried to tighten it and then it ran fine all day then that night I turned on the lights and it started dying. Now the truck won't stay running it stars but then dies unless I hold the key down what could it be
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 01:04 PM

Replace the ignition switch.
    murilloman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 07:50 PM
    If your truck only runs while you hold the key is in the start position, the ballast resistor is shot. Small white thing about 3' long with 1 or 2 wires at each end mounted on the firewall. When you start the engine, the coil gets 12 volt through the starting wiring (for faster and cold weather starts) and with the key in the run position, the ballast resistor supplies about 6 to 8 volts to the coil. Makes the coil and other parts of the ignition system last longer. One way to test is pull the wires off each end and hook them together with a paper clip or piece of wire and start the truck, if it stays running, there is your problem.
    Good luck.
    richards mopar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 02:07 PM

Double check that your battery is good. Follow your battery cables and check for any torn areas. Take your alternator to get checked, could be a bad alternator to begin with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Dodge ram truck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1986 Dodge ram pickup truck that has a wiring problem. The right turn-signal doesn't flash, and the brake light doesn't work. It previously had a hook-up for a trailer, but it has been removed. It has power to the tail-light, I have bypassed the brake light switch, the flasher, and I have...

Dodge truck wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Dodge Truck with a Cummins in it. The head lights went out in it the other day, but I still had marker and running lights. I purchased a new head light switch and installed it but now not only do I not have head lights but I have no running or marker lights. The warning buzzer...

Strange electrical problems in Dodge truck [ 3 Answers ]

I recently replaced the cat converter in my 2000 Dodge 1500 Ram truck. When I got the vehicle back from the shop, the radio, the power mirrors, the dome lights, the cargo light, and the seatbelt solenoids did not work. Can't convince the shop they did it. All fuses are good. I suspect one or more...

View more questions Search