Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Avalanche Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Health Savings Account (HSA) - Form 1099-SA
    Hi all,

I have an HSA and received a 1099-SA with $250 in Box1 of the form. Last year most of my medical charges (~$2000) occurred in Nov and Dec. I received and paid the bills from my HSA in Jan'09 and yet to receive 1 or 2 more. So, these charges did not appear in Box1 for 2008 1099-SA. My question is: For tax purposes which one is important? The day the charge occurs? Or the day I pay the bill? Should I call the bank and request a correction on Box1, so it shows $2250?
    Thanks in advance.

Avalanche
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 03:59 PM
    You can claim it the day you PAY the bill.
    Avalanche Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You can claim it the day you PAY the bill.
    Thank you very much. So, I don't need to worry about it and my payments will show up in 2009's 1099-SA anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do, received 1099 - INT for savings account have no other income. [ 8 Answers ]

Any help is much appreciated! I just received a letter from my bank marked form 1099-INT. The amount of interest income is only $12.45 for 2007. I have had this savings account since I was younger as my mom set it up for me as a gift with both our names on the account. The letter is addressed to...

Savings account [ 1 Answers ]

If 5,000 is put in a savings account paying interest of 4% compounded annually, what amount will be in the account at the end of 5 years? The answer I got was 6,000. I multiplied 5,000, 04, and 5. Am I correct?

Accounting for a health care savings account [ 5 Answers ]

I've been using Quicken for a double entry record of my finances since forever. I've figured out ways to amortize my insurance so it charges it monthly, and track everything real well. Well, today I'm stumped. When I see a medical provider, I write a check and split it: my copayment goes into...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

Savings Account [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there! I'm 23 years old. Both my girlfriend and I have good credit and decent income for our age. We want to purchase a home in the near future. What would be the best way to save for a down payment? Are there savings accounts that offer interest? What would be the best way to go?

View more questions Search