Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DOUBLEUW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 06:57 AM
    When I power on my desk top the fans stay constantly on but nothing else.
    When I turn my desktop on the fans come on but nothing else happens. Can someone help?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 07:10 AM

1. Does the fan STAY on?
    And
    2. Are you positive that your monitor is on?

I ask not cause I'm the guru, but I know this will help the gurus that see your question :)
    DOUBLEUW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks rick the monitor is on to the monitor it is just that the 2 fans stay on and the cpu does not try to boot up
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 12:45 AM

Properly check the cables of your monitor(VGA & power cable) then if it working fine, Press the f8 key button then if you see something then select the last good configuration option and when you reboot the computer, check for motherboard display coming or not. Please give the complete details.
    b_harish123 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 01:45 AM

Also check the Light displaying on the power button and if it's a Dell computer then check the LED's on the back panel of the CPU and tell us the 4 different colours...

Also try to unplug the cable running from the monitor to the CPU... Unplug it form the CPU end and check if you get a selftest on the monitor screen just to make sure the monitor is working fine...

Provide us the information after doing all these...
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 08:21 AM

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 3, 2009, 11:09 AM

Somewhere your computer is not passing the BIOS POST. It's very difficult to trouble shoot, but start by unplugging every device, CD, Hard drive, Floppy if installed, and remove the memory, try to start up the computer. If it starts up at this point, obviously it's going to fail because certain devices are no longer attached, shut down and plug in the next logical device, such as a memory stick, repeat reboot process, continue on this path until a device plugged in causes the system to STOP booting. This device is most likely causing the problem either in the way of faulty hardware, or it's direct connection to the mother board.

If you get back to everything being plugged in and it goes back to not doing anything, invest in a $40 BIOS POST card interpreter which will scan through the different phases of the BIOS Post process and give you a code when it hangs, reference the code in the enclosed manual. It's not a 100% accurate, but they're good enough that most of the time you can figure out what the issue is based on the code, something's better than nothing to go on at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power Supply Fans not working, No picture either [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I'm playing a game an hour or so ago when my monitor goes black and the power light starts blinking as if its in standby or shut off. My computer is still running however. I hit the reset button it beeps a couple times and stays the same. I hold my power button in until the computer shuts off...

Help Desk [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have an interview this coming Friday for the position of Help Desk, just wondering what questions do you think will be asked by the interviewer.. Thanks

Icons on the desk top won't stay put [ 9 Answers ]

I have windows XP service pack 2. I want my desk top icons to stay where I put them. When I restart the computers they go back to the left. I do not have lock to desk top or align to grid checked.

Desk top set up [ 1 Answers ]

?? How do I delete pictures from the desktop settings

View more questions Search