Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparkerhot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Well water filters
    Hi just wondering what people are using to filter there well water? I have some iron in the water but other than that not a huge issue. I have a water softner on it now that was doing a good job about getting the iron out but now its not. So just wondering what everbodys got
    water_doctor Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2009, 08:43 AM

I don't know about everybody else, but here are a couple things that I can recommend.

First of all you probably have a cat-ion exchange softener. It works great with calcium and magnesium and other hard water minerals, but as far as iron and other metallic stuff it will basically coat your resin the same as it will coat your sink or tub, and then your softener will not be good for much of anything. When iron comes into play there are certain filtration systems you can put in before it gets to your softener, or you can have an AN-ION exchange softener. It's a different make up and different process but can be put in the same softener. Basically you have a CAT-ION bed and AN-ION bed so it will remove the hardness and the Iron, bacteria, sulfides etc.
    (AS always there is some geeky science involved and if you would like more information let me know)
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 10:46 AM

Who makes these things? Model numbers?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 10:55 AM

If your iron content is high you might want to prefilter the water before it gets to the softener. A whole house filter system can cost as little as $200 but the replaceable filters can run $35 and I go through 3 per year. There are other more sophisticated filter than can run into the thousands.
    water_doctor Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Who makes these things? Model numbers?

We actually build our own but I'm sorry, I am not supposed to promote my own product on this site. But if you Google iron filter or something like that you might be able to find some information.

I think it is OK to say that you can contact me via my contact information. I hope I am not breaking any rules there.

Again sorry for the inconvenience but I really don't want to get in trouble with the moderators on this site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air filters [ 11 Answers ]

What do you think is the best way to remove smoke from a room. I have a smoker in the house that we are going to contain to one room and I was wondering what is the best way to clean the air in that room. My options are either to install an exhaust fan or put an air filter(a good one). There are...

Do washing machines have water filters? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Maytag washing machine that has very low water pressure on it. I am wondering if there is a screen somewhere that I can check for any blockage. Thanks.

Seeking Manufacturers of CBR 210 Water Filters [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to help a senior neighbour (he does not have nor is capable of using a computer). He wishes to (specifically) purchase CBR 210 Carbon Block Water Filter Cartridges, (with lead reduction 0.5 microns), for his under sink , drinking water system. He is seeking names of...

Air Filters [ 1 Answers ]

How do I cange or clean the filter in a Miller CMF series Furnace, I can't even find a filter

Whole house filters and water softeners [ 1 Answers ]

Since I'm replumbing the entire house I thought I would got for the whole nine yards, and install a Whole House Water Filter and a Water Softener. Any advide on this being a good idea? One of my neighbors said I shouldn't install the filter since the stuff I'm filtering out is needed inside the...

View more questions Search