Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    97Caddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Blown Head Gasket?
    I have a 97 cadillac seville sls with a northstar engine. It has been in the shop a few times over the past 4 months. It started overheating so I took it to the auto shop, (which was supposed to repair it, so I figured). I had the thermostat, water pump, radiator, oxygen sensors replaced, but none of this seemed to fix my problem. Now it is back in the shop with a blown head gasket (which I do feel could have been avoided had it been properly diagnosed) I am low on funds and can not afford to replace the engine or repair the blown gaskets at this time. I was browsing the internet and ran across many sealants that claim to fix this problem. I would like to know if they really work and if they do which ones would be the best for an inexpensive way to repair my vehicle, or any other suggestions. Thanks!!

97Caddy
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 04:09 PM

I'd start looking for another mechanic. I can't see any possible reason for replacing oxygen sensors when your vehicle is overheating; that's absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest, the head gasket was probably blown to begin with; the Northstar motors constantly have this issue. I don't personally recommend using a sealant; you don't know the extent of damage to the gasket and the sealant may not even fix the problem, not to mention the potential damage that the sealant could cause if it plugs something else up.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 07:26 AM

We haven't enough information to say why the sensors were replaced. Other than overheatin, were there any other issues?

Without knowing the mileage and repair/maintainance history of this vehicle, I'm just going to say that the Northstar has a reputation for the cylinder head bolts pulling the threads out of the engine block.
    Initially, the coolant loss is insignificant and the overheat diagnose doesn't lead immediately to blown head gaskets.
    Eventually, perhaps two or three bolts are worked loose and now the seal between the block and head is really compromised.
    Then is when you're told the engine needs torn down.
    Had your mechanic been more familiar with this condition, he may have been able to caution you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown head gasket? How much to fix? [ 17 Answers ]

My 2001 Cavalier is using coolant like crazy, leaking it as well. The motor oil is kind of lumpy, does this mean a blown head gasket & is it worth it to fix? Plus what do I get fixed? Thank you I can't afford to have someone take advantage & charge me a crazy amount of $:o

Blown Head Gasket [ 4 Answers ]

I need information on a Blown Head Gasket. My 2002 Ford Mustang has been running hot for almost a year (beginning last summer and usually only in the summer). We have replaced the thermostat 2x and it will work for a few months then start running hot again. It is now running hot and I took it to...

Blown head gasket [ 1 Answers ]

Wher to start when replacing head gasket on 19995 nissan altima

Blown head gasket [ 5 Answers ]

Someone is selling a acura legend for 1000. It has a blown head gasket is it worth buying and fixing?

Blown head gasket [ 0 Answers ]

I have a geo prism with a blown head gasket. Is there any way I could fix it cheap, even if I jerry-rig it? Thanks. Ian

View more questions Search