Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Max Payne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Why is it called a wake
    Right - can you tell me when people meet up in a pub after a funeral why is it called a wake
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 03:21 PM

I thought the visitation at the funeral home is called a wake.

From Wikipedia --

A wake is a ceremony associated with death. Traditionally, a wake takes place in the house of the deceased, with the body present; however, modern wakes are often performed at a funeral home.

The English word "wake" originated from the ancient Indo-European root "wog" or "weg," meaning "to be active." This evolved into several meanings, including "growth" ("vegetable"), "to become or stay alert," and "watching or guarding." The third also evolved into the word "watch," and it is in this sense that people have a "wake" for someone who recently died". While the modern usage of the verb "wake" is to "become or stay alert", a "wake" for the dead harks back to the antiquated "watch or guard" sense. This is contrary to the urban legend that people at a wake are waiting in case the deceased should "wake up."
    sophiesnowangel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 06:53 PM
    It is called a wake because the watching was done to see if the body was decomposing or if the body would "wake" up. There was a huge fascination/worry over being buried alive. In the mid 19th century they would even leave water and bells in the coffin just in case. No lie. Embalming became more prevalent around civil war when bodied would be shipped home so there was lost the chance that someone would "wake."
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 07:03 PM

The Austrian folklore is that people stayed awake, called it a wake, to make certain that the Devil didn't take possession of the body whle it was unguarded. I thought that the "watching/wake up" story (for lack of another word) was also folklore.

Jews do not embalm, by the way.
    sophiesnowangel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
    I was stunned to learn the fascination with being buried alive but it makes sense:

Numerous patents were issued for coffin escape devices. One particular design has given us several phrases that are in common use today in the English language. A bell above ground was attached to a string which ran down into the coffin and was attached to the wrist of the deceased. Someone was hired to keep watch on the bell to quickly dig up the person if the bell rang. The "dead ringer" was "saved by the bell" by someone working the "graveyard shift."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I wake up weezing? [ 3 Answers ]

I have steadly been smoking weed everyday for about a year and a half now and ime only 16. All day I cough up black dots with mucus, and have a violent smokers cough. I do not smoke cigarettes at all! My main method of toking is the bong filtration of smoke by water. I am currently smoking a...

Does Anyone Wake With Dry Mouth [ 6 Answers ]

I have had a sore throat condition for some time -- use cough drops to sooth it But often wake up with dry mouth -- also have pflem in my throat One other problem is the cough drops appear have caused dental problems What helps me -- also hurts me -- Toothaches have affected my sleep ...

Can't wake up [ 7 Answers ]

Help, my daughter can not wake up some mornings, she is a single mother, and has to be at work at 7am 5 days a week. Even with going to bed early, she will some mornings not hear the alarm clock, the phone ring, over and over, as I try to help wake her up.

View more questions Search