Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dalliesgrrl Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Positive Financial Behavior AFTER Ch. 7
    What are some things a couple could do AFTER filing Ch 7 to help get their credit back where it needs to be? I understand the "Don'ts" (applying for more credit, racking up credit, loans etc) but what are some positive things that can be done to help restore the credit?

Thanks!
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 11:59 AM

"The Bankruptcy Court has no jurisdiction over credit reporting agencies. The Fair Credit Reporting Act, 6 U.S.C. Section 605, is the law that controls credit reporting agencies. The law states that credit reporting agencies may not report a bankruptcy case on a person`s credit report after ten years from the date the bankruptcy case is filed. Other bad credit information is removed after seven years. The larger credit reporting agencies belong to an organization called the Associated Credit Bureaus. The policy of the Associated Credit Bureaus is to remove chapter 11 and chapter 13 cases from the credit report after seven years to encourage debtors to file under these chapters."
    How Long Will A Bankruptcy Show On My Credit Reports?
    Credit reports indicate the borrowers' use of credit, so it is difficult to get a 'good' report if no credit is utilized, in my view.

Feb 9, 2009, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    "The Bankruptcy Court has no jurisdiction over credit reporting agencies. The Fair Credit Reporting Act, 6 U.S.C. Section 605, is the law that controls credit reporting agencies. The law states that credit reporting agencies may not report a bankruptcy case on a person`s credit report after ten years from the date the bankruptcy case is filed. Other bad credit information is removed after seven years. The larger credit reporting agencies belong to an organization called the Associated Credit Bureaus. The policy of the Associated Credit Bureaus is to remove chapter 11 and chapter 13 cases from the credit report after seven years to encourage debtors to file under these chapters."
    How Long Will A Bankruptcy Show On My Credit Reports?
    Credit reports indicate the borrowers' use of credit, so it is difficult to get a 'good' report if no credit is utilized, in my view.
    I'm not sure how this response answers my question at all..?
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliesgrrl View Post
    I'm not sure how this response answers my question at all.. ???
    I wanted to point out that credit reporting agencies can report the bankruptcy for 7 to 10 years. If you do not undertake any borrowing ("applying for credit ... loans"), you will not have anything to put on credit report, other than the bankruptcy.

Feb 10, 2009, 10:54 AM

Ok... that makes sense; I apologize for not understanding the first reply.

With that said, are there certain forms of a credit that are better then others to apply for? I've heard that loans look better then credit cards.. but I'm really unsure. Up to this point, I just knew that if you charged it, you shouldn't charge more then you could pay back in a month.. and after this, we're listnening to theory for sure! :)

What would be a good time frame to start applying for good credit? I wouldn't assume I would want to run out right away and try and apply.. 6 months? 1 year?
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 11:14 AM

Are you buying your home? That will be on your credit report. I have thought it prudent to have one major credit card for emergency purchases such as car repairs. Similarly, it is prudent to have an emergency savings account for large ticket repairs and replacements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Managing Financial and Non-financial Resources [ 4 Answers ]

Hi every body, I want answers this Question important for my project management, can any body help me?? :( And thank for all... :) Managing Financial and Non-financial Resources Question ONE: -Describe the things you should consider when putting together a budget for an Organization or...

To produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources [ 1 Answers ]

As a manager produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources to meet mediun to long trem objectives of the company

Financial statements to review/financial health of a company [ 0 Answers ]

Reviewing the company's balance sheet, which entries should be analysied To determine the financial health of a company?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Financial Statements: Cost Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

1 Finished goods inventory. $16,000 2. Finished goods inventory. $14,000 3. Depreciation, factory $21,000 4. Administrative expenses $45,000 5. Utilities, factory $12,000 6. Maintenance, factory $26,000 7....

View more questions Search