Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrinstech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Logon failure on domain - credential issues
    I needed to change the nic card in my backup domain controller. After doing so I had some issues in regards to a qhosted nic card retaining the same settings, after resolving that I replace my nic card. Now I cannot log in? I reinstalled the bad card and can get in, odd? I change the nic again, I wait 10 minuteds while it tries to authenticate and I can get in and then it ask that I ctrl alt del to verify the logon credentials, at that point I cannot get back in. Also, I had changed the Primary Domain passwrod about three months ago. I cannot log on with the new password only the old? That's when the credential issue comes up.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 9, 2009, 03:02 PM

Your DC is trying to revert back to an old version of the AD schema.

Put the old NIC back into the machine and revert back to it. Even if it can not get to the network, put it back in. Logon with cached credentials and get to a desktop. You may have to wait 20-30 minutes before it finally comes up to a desktop.

Change the IP address of the old NIC to a different IP. Change the IP address of the new NIC to the desired IP for the DC. Disable the old NIC and reboot the server.

There should be no issues in changing the MAC address for your DNS and DHCP servers. We have done so without issue. But if the hardware was not properly removed, then a ghost entry remains in the registry. It thinks that there are two NICs with the same assigned IP address, etc.

Once you have successfully reassingned the new NIC, then properly remove the old hardware/device and drivers from the machine before physically removing the hardware.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Logon problems [ 4 Answers ]

As you may know from my preivious question, Connecting two computers, I own a Dell Dimension with Windows XP. I have to type my name when logging in, and want to change this. When I try to change to Fast User Switching, I get the following message: A recently installed program has disabled the...

XP Logon [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot logon to Windows. I'll click on the user name and it does not go to the user interface, the PC just logs back off to the user name screen. Win XP Pro SP2 w/2Gig RAM.

Requested Logon Type? (Logon failure) [ 8 Answers ]

hello everyone... just want to said that I'm the new member here... my name daniel... nice to know all of u =) I usually got a problem with my computer so I will recently talk (ask and answer) about it... I have two computer in my house, one is desktop and the other one is my laptop. I...

N00b issues with linux - hosting own domain. [ 1 Answers ]

OK if there's any guru's out there willing to help I'd appreciate it greatly.. So I've stumbled through installing kubuntu 6.10 on an old box I had sitting around and my aim with it is to host two domains from it, using separate ports as required, to serve webpages, email, build dns servers and...

Win xp logon problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone! My windows xp logoff immediately after logon. So I have no chance to do anything in windows. This happens in safe mode and for all users too. The system was working properly before it and it was not connected to network for virus infection. I also checked the problem due to...

View more questions Search