Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdee44 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Child support
    My child is 19 years old and the child support payments are still going. How do I get them to stop taking the money? She has graduated high school and everything. The court says pay until 18 and that is it but I can't get it stopped. The lawyer that I used is no longer in that area. What do I do?

Feb 9, 2009, 06:18 AM

My child is 19 years old and the child support payments are still going. How do I get them to stop taking the money? She has graduated high school and everything. The court says pay until 18 and that is it but I can't get it stopped. The lawyer that I used is no longer in that area. What do I do?

Feb 9, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 07:03 AM

How is it being paid, by garnishment of your pay,

What exactly does the court order say, is she in college ?

But in some areas you have to file a motion with the court to end the support payments,

So get a new lawyer, take in a copy of your support agreement,
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 05:59 PM

If you are in California it is easy to do. You file an ex parte application to terminate the wage assignment that includes your declaration that the child has finished high school and has reached 18, include a proposed order, a new wage assignment setting support at zero and a new child support case registry form.

Check with the Family Law Facilitator's Office and they can help you out. Or you can pay a lawyer to do it.
    verbattered52 Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2009, 06:36 PM
    What state are you in? Has he ever been in arrears? Is he still in high school?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

View more questions Search