Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singlarohit29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 12:50 AM
    USA tax return: Married But wife never been to USA: How to do the taxes.
    Hi There,

First of all thank you for opening my question. I was in Detroit, USA from Dec,06 till 23rd May,08. I have question about filing 2008 taxes. I have got w2 form.
    I got married in Nov,08. My wife never been to USA and doesn't have SSN/ITIN as of now. I also didn't go back to USA till now. Now question is:

1) Can I claim my wife as my dependent. She doesn't have any income. If yes, what should be my filing status? :confused:
    2) Which forms do I need to fill?
    3) Can I file online?
    4) My US income is less than 25K $

Regards,
    Rohit
    [email protected]
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 06:54 AM

Your visa? Did you file 2006 and 2007 tax returns? If yes, which form? When did you enter and left the U.S.
    singlarohit29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Hi Mukata,

I was on L1B Visa. I filed the taxes in 2007. I stayed in US from 27th Dec,06 to 23rd May, 08.
    In 2007 I have filed using 1040 form. Status as single and US resident alien.

Do I need to file a ITIN for my wife? I have read on one post that

"you also must enter your spouse's full name in the space provided and must enter your spouse's SSN or ITIN in the space provided unless your spouse does not have and is not required to have an SSN or ITIN. In that case, write nonresident or N R A in the space for SSN."

Please guide

Thanks
    Rohit
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Rohit:

If you are NOW currently in the U.S. on either a H or L visa, then you will file your 2008 return as a resident alien under the Continuous Presence policy.

This will require that you claim your home country income on your U.S. tax return and file Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit.

Further, you can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,900 joint standard deduction plus two $3,500 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife).

She WILL need an ITIN, which you submit Form W-7 with a notarized photocopy of her passport with the 2008 tax return to get.

If you were married in 2006 and 2007, you can amend the U.S. tax returns for those years as well to claim the joint filing status.

If you need professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    balaji111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 11:32 PM
    Hi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fill tax return form for married+1 H1b holder with wife and son having no SSN [ 5 Answers ]

Here is my situation: I am a posdoc has been working in MA for almost 10 month (moved from Europe). I am here on H1b visa with my wife and 14-year old son. They both on H4, so there are no SSNs (they can't work in the USA) and there is no any additional income for our family. Practically, I have...

My Wife is Chinese and in China, Can I claim married on my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My name is Jay... I have been given the run around concerning my taxes and my wife. Basically I just have a few questions if someone can PLEASE! Help me! Q1) I am a US Citizen and my wife is currently a Chinese citizen in China and will have her visa soon so she may enter the US,...

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Tax return with married status , wife in India [ 7 Answers ]

Hi , I am on H1 visa and will be going to India to get married in Dec2007. I will be returing in feb but my wife will join me In march. My question are as follows 1> I am getting married in last month of 2007 and also my wife not be coming to US in year 2007 , Will I be able to file Taxes...

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

View more questions Search