Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lifesuckzdude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 10:32 PM
    Those who had a "highschool sweetheart".
    How do you get over them?
    I think he's with someone new now and it hasn't even been a month yet since we broke up... the pain seriously is making me feel like I can't breath and I feel nauseous... I want to get over him... I need help from those who've been through this... I've lately been having so much time in my hands and I just end up thinking about him even when I try so hard not to. I can't believe how much this hurts... I never expected our relationship to ever end. What can I do? Please I really need advice...
    mintah50 Posts: 46, Reputation: 9

Feb 9, 2009, 12:13 AM

I been through this situation. Yes it hard to get your mind off this guy when you have nothing else to do but to just think about him.
    But may I ask why did you two break up?
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

Feb 9, 2009, 12:18 AM

There is nothing I can say to mend your broken heart. I am sorry.
    I did go through the same thing when I was in high school. I was so upset. I cried myself to sleep every night for 2 months. My body physically hurt. I would think about it and I would throw up. I had no appetite.
    But life goes on. You will find someone else, although you never forget your first love, your high school sweetheart.
    I still think of him from time to time, I even have dreams about him still and its been 5 years...
    Aprilmay12 Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Feb 9, 2009, 12:36 AM
    I had a similar situation with a high school sweetheart. After we broke up, I had a very hard time getting over him, it was about one year later when I was finally over it. But I didn't help myself either, I talked about him a lot and thought about ways in which I could change to be with him again. Then reality kicked in and I realized that agonizing over him wouldn't make him come back. Being with people who truly cared about me helped. When I would have normally been with my boyfriend, I would be with friends or family instead. Being alone on the weekends doesn't help. Though you may not want to be with someone else, try innocent flirting with other people; it's flattering when when others dote on you and will help you eventually move on to someone else.
    cutehanzel Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2009, 12:50 AM

Same here... I was there! I know how you feel right now... it takes 3 years for me to fully recover though sometimes I think of him... but I guess it's a normal process to learn something out of that relationship... time will heal.. try to mingle with other people... but before hand you need to have a formal closure. Its easy to move on when you don't have "what ifs" in your mind... maybe you deserve someone better...
    salvadorlimones Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 05:31 AM

Its similar on a man's side as well.

I had a 7 year relationship with my high school love and we were broken up. It was terrible and I was in depression. But life goes on and one has to live.

Although the place the first love covers in your heart does not change, there is still place for others and sometimes betters. I used to tell that no one will be like her but that was not true of course. I was almost shocked when I fall in love with the other girl which we met by chance and totally changed my life.

I remember the pain and I know how real it was. But time will heal your broken heart and I am sure one day ypu will meet someone new and better. In the recovery process, just spend time with other people who also love you (family & friends), who you are still valuable to; no matter what happens. That will speed the healing process.

I hope you feel better in short time...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 06:36 AM

Only time and moving on, dating and getting activities in your life.

But a "high school" sweetheart will always be there somewhere special in your life. Even if not as real as it actually happened, since memory fools you over the years, 30 and 40 years and more, you will look back and often remember the good times, and once in a while even a tear when that special song is played.

But that is memories and how we move on.
    So to that special memory, I say Hi Martha, for she was and is mine.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 06:49 AM

I can't believe how much this hurts
    That's how break ups are, they hurt a lot.
    I never expected our relationship to ever end
    We all feel that way, like this love can never end, it doesn't but it sure changes over time.
    What can I do?
    Accept that its over, and let yourself heal.

Read the stickies at the beginning of this forum and get some real good suggestions from those, like you, who have gone through this.

It never gets better, as break ups are hard on us humans, but we learn with experience, how to cope with our losses in life, and so will you.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 09:24 AM

My high school sweet heart... well I'm Irish so I'd just call him my first boyfriend LOL We were together for about 2 yrs. I thought we'd be together forever. We weren't. He broke up with me and I was devastated. I never thought I'd get over it.

After sleeping with him and trying to get back with him and trying to be his friend and all the rest of the usual steps... I finally went NC. I didn't talk to him for 3 yrs. I got over it. It took time and it wasn't easy but... one day at a time.

(Disclaimer: Please don't do all the usual steps above.. go NC and stick to it, it's the only thing that works.)
    JTS31708 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Feb 9, 2009, 09:06 PM

Im going through it now and its been about a week and a half and it kills me still thinking about it so I go out with all my buddies and chill and relax and it will take your mind off it
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Apr 4, 2009, 12:50 PM

My high school sweetheart broke up with me 2 weeks ago. :(

I'm taking it hard, but I tell myself that with time, the sun will shine again.

And when it does, it will more brilliant than ever.

It will just take time. Good luck. *hug*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

I`m still thinking of my high school sweetheart after 4 years,why? [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Denisse and I need an advice from some experienced people.I met this boy in high school and at the beginning I hated him.. but after months we met at the disco and we started going out.We had a relationship for 7 months then we broke up.Now he has a girlfriend at College.I`m single......

View more questions Search