Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Only1G Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 08:58 PM
    My husbands destroying US
    Well Im 29yrs old, Ive been married for 7yrs now, its not always been what you call "happy" its been rough there's been times Ive felt like Im the only one that's worked at holding it together, like Im the only one that does anything in this family, Im mom and dad. The past yr has been the WORST, I believe that my husband is addictive to pain meds, did I say I believe I mean I KNOW he's addicted! This is a very bad problem and its tearing our family apart, but getting him to realize this is not happening, the only thing he cares about is his habit. I love him I do, and I want to help him but I think Im just falling into the trap with him, I think Im supporting his habit as well... What do I do, I hate to up and leave him, but something's got to change I just don't know how its going to...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:01 PM

Have you considered an intervention?

Addiciton is a disease, just like cancer, and he needs the support of a proffessional in order to get through this.

You can love him, and stand by him but that doesn't mean that you have to live with this.

Talk to your family doctor or call a drug hotline.

The bad thing is, he can't get help until he wants to, he needs to realize that this is a problem. Intervention may be the best course of action.

I wish I had further advice, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Stay strong. :)
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Only1G View Post
    Well Im 29yrs old, Ive been married for 7yrs now, its not always been what you call "happy" its been rough theres been times Ive felt like Im the only one thats worked at holding it together, like Im the only one that does anything in this family, Im mom and dad. The past yr has been the WORST, I believe that my husband is addictive to pain meds, did I say i believe I mean I KNOW hes addicted! This is a very bad problem and its tearing our family apart, but getting him to realize this is not happening, the only thing he cares about is his habit. I love him I do, and I want to help him but i think Im just falling into the trap with him, I think Im supporting his habit as well.....What do I do, I hate to up and leave him, but somethings gotta change I just don't know how its going to.......
    What has been his reaction when you talk to him about your concerns. In addition to the addiction, how has he changed. How is his behaviour toward the children. Is he working steady, coming home every night, denying he has a problem? When is the last time he visited his doctor for a prescription repeat. (It may be different there, I'm in Canada and a doctor's visit is required to get a repeat on a prescription)

What is the nature of his medical condition. And most importantly, how do you know he is addicted to pain medication.

What was he like prior to starting the pain meds.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Hello Only:

Call Al-Anon. They know about this stuff from YOUR perspective.

excon
    Dntueva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 08:55 PM
    Ive been where he is.

Its very hard to get over prescription pain medication, it can be done, but he has to want to get off them, and he has to make that decision for him, not you, not the kids.

What happened with me is I got addicted after major surgery, I only quit after going to street drugs and then my wife leaving me and me going into a program for 30 days.

This was very tough on me and my ex-wife. If you decide to stay, talk with him, about getting professional help. There is Alonon for you to go to and learn about chemical dependency, and what he is going through, that will help you and help you help him if he wants help.

It's a rough road but if you decide to stay, and can handle it, it will make you a stronger couple.

I hope you make the right decision for you and for him.

You can only really help him, help himself, but he has to make the decision to help himself first.

If alonon doesn't help you try NA Narcotics anonymous.

Thanks
    Dntueva

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feed up with my husbands friend I want her to get out of my husbands life. [ 9 Answers ]

My husband has go a friend, they have been friends for quit a long time. I am sick of her, you want to konow why? She used to email him email with some strong words, e.g. Hi sweetheart am missing you so much but I can't call you, please at least text me heavly love Lety. How are dear? You are so...

Wildlife destroying yard [ 13 Answers ]

My yard is backed by a wildlife preserve. We have all sorts of visitors to our yard including a 500+ pound wild pig. She only comes out at night so we aren't particularly concerned about her - other than she keeps destroying our yard. We keep laying sod and she keeps rooting it up. We're...

I Am destroying my relationship [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I are married 5 years. In the beginning, she adored me, and I her. But, as I become stressed with a lot of work, the realities of married life, my step-son's teenage difficulties, and new baby, I found that I snapped a lot at her, became angry at small matters. How can I go about...

Destroying CD-ROMs [ 7 Answers ]

I have been going through all my ROMs trying to get all the stuff onto one or two disks and deleting multiple files that I have accuired. I have a pile of ROMs that I have all the stuff off that I want but don't have a shredder that is capabale of destroying them. Is there another way to destroy a...

Husbands addictions destroying our life [ 7 Answers ]

I would appreciate your advice on my problem. My husband & I have been married for 14 years and have 3 kids. The first few years of our marriage were very difficult as my husband had a cocaine & alcohol addiction & was unfaithful, using prostitutes when he was high. I’m not sure how I survived...

View more questions Search