Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Feb 8, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Dimmer switch and electrical plug
    Is there such a device as an electrical box for the bathroom where one can purchase
    It to be a switch to turn the light on and off, BUT containing a dimmer in it, and then on the bottom a plug so that I can plug in a radio or fan or hairdryer etc. :confused:And would there be a company that is the safest one that manufactures them. Thank you very much!:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 07:40 PM

I have not seen a single device that has both but you can install a 4x4 box and there is no trouble installing a dimmer on one side and a duplex on the other.
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Feb 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I have not seen a single device that has both but you can install a 4x4 box and there is not trouble installing a dimmer on one side and a duplex on the other.
    Thank you for your reply. When you say: "and a duplex on the other." - what does this mean?
    Right now I have a receptacle that has a switch to turn on the light, on the top and a place to plug in electrical items on the bottom. If I get an electrician to install what you have suggested, a 4x4 box... would that mean that he needs to change the wires inside etc. :confused: (I am wondering (because of financial reasons), :eek:what something like this might cost.)I have a: "Combination Decora Rocker Switch - Electrical Outlet" on the bathroom wall right now.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 11:44 AM

I have never seen one.
    Combo GFI and Switch, I have seen.
    I would remove wall plate and see if it is a double box already, then carefully cut out, remove and install a 2 gang mudring.
    You already have all the wires you need.
    With your existing setup, you could add one of those small dimmers like used on the pole lights for living rooms that have a halogen light shining up. They're small, you could drill a hole in fixture and turn to dim?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Dimmer/Fan Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a dimmer/fan switch (Harbor Breeze) The fan will only come on or work when the light is on. When I turn the light up al the way, the fan on high will run at full speed, but when the light is dimmed the speed of the fans goes down, it'll also go down if I turn the fan speed...

Dimmer switch hot [ 4 Answers ]

We recently changed over fluorescent lighting to track lighting with a dimmer switch. Recently I noticed that there was a bit of a blue spark when we turned the switch off and the switch itself was warm. What would the problem here be?:confused:

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

View more questions Search