Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Confused on how to file my taxes
    I got married on April 26, 2009. My husband only worked until September and lost his job. His boss said he was going to 1099 him. We haven't received anything from him and have heard from another worker that he does not even have the 1099's ready. I am getting ready to lose my job. The company I work for is going out of business, and I have a month at the most left to work. I want to file my taxes so I have something to fall back on if I cannot find employment by the time I lose my job. I am really unclear on the married but filing seperatly option. Can I claim head of household and am I eligible for earned income credit if my income meets the requirements, since I am married, even if we file seperatly? I would really like to know my best option. Thank You in advance
    hoightoider Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2009, 09:34 PM

Did you mean to say you got married in 2008?

In most instances, it is best to file a joint return. If I were you, I would wait and file jointly.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 02:04 AM

You can file joint return or separately. Since your husband's employer did not deduct SS tax and Medicare tax, it means that your husband worked as independent contractor. You must report this income even if employer does not issue 1099-misc. You will report your income and expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3%. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 03:33 PM
    You need to wait until the first week of March at least before you file, because 1099s did not have to be mailed until 15 Feb 09.

Further, many are waiting until the end of February to mail out the 1099s.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a 1099 self employed taxes and taxes in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone . I had a few tax related questions . My husband is pretty much self employed , he is a permanent resident of the united states etc. we live in Georgia . We wanted to know how do we file a self employed tax paper and how do we figure the precentages we are a family of 4 . With 2...

On L1A Visa - Confused about residence status & Best way to file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks in advance for your time. I moved to Chicago, IL from India on October 2, 2007 on an L1A visa. My wife moved on November 25, 2007 on an L2. While both of us have SSNs, neither of us have a state issued driver's license. Both of us expect to be in Chicago for the whole of 2008 with...

Almost ready to file Answer but confused [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have been working diligently on my Answer to the complaint from the JDBs attorney. Thanks to everyone for the awesome help here. I have a question on the affirmative defenses. My only income is from retirement funds that are exempt from garnishment or bank attachment. I have been...

I did not file my taxes but had taxes taken out of my check [ 14 Answers ]

I'm kind of worried here... I don't know why I didn't, but it is what it is. I just didn't file my taxes for 2005 and 2006. I also worked for a company in 2004 that paid me in personal buisiness checks that I would cash at citibanks, etc. but they never had me fill out any paperwork and never...

Very confused - what forms to file? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I tried to go through this forum and get an answer but couldn't get one that was 100% satisfactory. First of all, let me explain my situation. I am Indian citizen(single) who came to the US in Fall 2002 on F-1 visa. Was on OPT from March 2005 - Feb 2006. I started working on OPT from...

View more questions Search