Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelkelken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 04:39 PM
    Failure in kindergarten twice
    My granson is almost 7. this is his 2nd year in kindergarten, he is an only child. They have tested him, he has ashort attention span, and he is NOT ready to go into 1st grade. How and would it be easy to homeschool him and do you think it would help him?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 07:12 PM

NO, I am a real love of home school, but it appears this child has a learning disablity and should be with a professional who is trained to help him.

You need to work with the doctor to determine the level of his disability, and with the social worker from school to develop a teaching plan for him and what accomidations are needed to help him learn.

Unless a parent is specially trained for this, it could be a real problem for the child.

And short attention span should not cause 2 year failure for kindergarten.
    Are you working with him at home, already to help him with those skills
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 05:45 AM

Did the school offer any follow up with the testing? Does he have any accommodations in place due to the testing results? Ask the school about this. They may need to have an actual diagnosis from his doctor. As Fr_Chuck said, it would be wise to visit his doctor and discuss his school performance.
    It would be very unlikely, as well as a disservice, to have him repeat kindergarten again next year. He should go onto first grade with a plan in place to support him in the areas of weakness.
    Is he having trouble in all subject areas or only specific ones? Find out from his current teacher, and from the first grade teachers, what he needs to be working on to not only find some success, but to build his self confidence as well.
    You may want to also find out if they offer any tutoring. Some teachers will provide tutoring before or after school and/or during the summer.
    Carytib Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 08:18 AM

You should not homeschool him get a tss worker for him and they will go to school with him and help him if that does not work get someone to tutor him at home and if he still does not pay attention take him to the doctor this special medicine that makes you pay attantion it really works.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carytib View Post
    you should not homeschool him get a tss worker for him and they will go to school with him and help him if that does not work get someone to tutor him at home and if he still does not pay attention take him to the doctor this special medicine that makes you pay attantion it really works.
    What's a tss worker?

What medication are you talking about?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2009, 09:52 AM

TSS is a agronym for therapeutic support services... but there is no indication that the OPs grandson would need this level of support. It is mostly used for children with severe behavioral challenges or mental disorders where the one-on-one level of support would be warranted. They would not be brought in unless there was an actual diagnosis in the first place and only after a determination that regular support, such as working with a tutor, mentor, assistant teacher, or if he met the qualifications, with an ESE teacher, would not be sufficient.

The first step, if the grandmother feels there is a concern more than just short attention span, would be to have the boy's doctor evaluate him.

Teachers have to be very careful however in what they suggest, and how. They can suggest that the next time you take the child to the doctor, let them know how he is doing in school... but they can run into potential problems if they tell a parent, or guardian, I think your child may need medication, or even that you need to have your child tested.

Mar 7, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What's a tss worker?

What medication are you talking about?
    It is called ridelin
    momoffour5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 05:17 PM
    [F]
    Your grandson should most certainly NOT repeat kindergarten a third time. He should be moved into first grade with an IEP ( individualized education plan) in place to help him achieve at his level and with modifications. I am wondering what "testing" was done and why a team meeting wasn't called with the teacher, test administrator, parents, etc. as this should have occurred.
    In answer to your question on whether he can be homeschooled - Yes children with special needs can be homeschooled; however, the parents must be willing to research and be prepared to do so. There are homeschool support groups for children with special needs.
    Best Wishes in your search for the appropriate educational setting for your grand son.

Although I am a certified elementary and special education teacher these answers are only my opinions based on my experiences.
    Bugbee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 10:30 PM
    No! Don't home school him! I think homes chooling, in the right circumstances, can be first rate and amazing, but this child needs teachers who specialize in helping kids with special needs. Ask your pediatrician and the school for recommendations.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jul 22, 2009, 06:57 AM

I agree with Duola and Momoffour. I am an elementary teacher myself who is in favor of retention in the right circumstances. However never for the same grade three times. Get a doctor's opinion and also ask the school for more testing. If you are not satisfied with the school go to a BOCES center and have them test the child. They mighte more independent.

Jul 22, 2009, 10:01 AM

Ask the principal to put him in special needs that is were my sister goes
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jul 22, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carytib View Post
    ask the principal to put him in special needs that is were my sister goes
    A principal cannot just place a student in a special needs classroom. To ensure that a student is placed in the least restrictive environment (LRE) a teacher or parent needs to request testing and a CSE meeting (Committee on Special Education). Once the initial paperwork is filled out, the principal signs off on the paperwork so testing may proceed.

All a parent has to do to start the process is write a letter to the school district requesting that his/her child be tested. In New York, upon receiving the request in writing, the district has 30 school days (not calendar days) to complete testing and hold a CSE meeting where the parents are present. It is in this meeting that a child's special education elegibility will be determined.

Sometimes, if a parent believes that the district is not acting in the best interest of the child, the parents may choose to bring along a parent advocate. A parent advocate is a person with experience in special education law and/or experience as a teacher in a special education classroom.

I wish you the best of luck.
    salns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 12:02 AM
    You can homeschool. But you must get an iep. Try it for a year or 2 until he is caught up. Or you could have a one on one with him and send him on to first grade. You are entitled to a free and appropriate education.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public kindergarten vs. Homeschool kindergarten [ 24 Answers ]

I am a concerned grandma. My son & daughter-in-law are going to homeschool my grandson for kindergarten and then send him to public first grade next year when his sister will go to public kindergarten. He will be 6 the end of December. He is very bright and the actual learning part of...

Skipping Kindergarten [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 y/o (will be 5 Feb 09) that I have been told by her peditrician and by her preschool that she should be tested out of kindergarten as soon as possible. She has always been ahead not only academically but socially. Her cousins that she is always with are 7. She also became a big sister at...

Kindergarten - attend or skip it? [ 2 Answers ]

We are in a custody battle right now between a father in Oklahoma and mother here in Texas. Neither state has mandatory kindergarten so the father wants to continue the current every other month visitation throughout the Kinder school year and then push for full custody thereafter. Of course,...

Kindergarten Friend [ 1 Answers ]

My friend, Jake, he's been my friend since Kindergarten and we're close... Well, we've dated and we've broken up. We've neva stopped being friends. But, I'll get to the point... He told me he'll never go out with me again, and then we actually might "AGAIN"... we want to... but not right now,...

View more questions Search