Feb 8, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Chalk Pastel on Grey Paper
    I love Criticism... Give meh!!

First drawing I did of my daughter

Second Drawing
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 04:27 PM

Cute as.. and beautifully done. Nice work.

Is this your baby?

... is see it IS your daughter! She's adorable.
    TabbyKitteh Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    cute as...! and beautifully done. Nice work.

Is this your baby?

................ is see it IS your daughter!! She's adorable.
    Thank you!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:08 PM

Beautiful work, love it!

Feb 8, 2009, 09:17 PM

*does happy dance*
    Pets Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:23 PM

It's always nice when people like our art.

I'm also an artist, I work mostly in oils but I've done some charcoal, black and white, not color. Color isn't easy to do well, but you did it!

By the way, you daughter is gorgeous. It helps when you have a great subject, doesn't it? ;)

Feb 8, 2009, 09:26 PM

Yes it most definitely does help.

Its kind of funny but I am the complete reverse. I suck when it comes to black and White. I always have a problem with dividing the white space and black space correctly.

Pastel is my main medium. I have tried painting.. I suck at it.
    I give anyone props who can pick up a paint brush and do anything with mixing colors.
    Pets Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:34 PM

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I want to get into water color, I love the look. I'm thinking of taking a few classes because on my own I haven't faired so well. Oils and water color are as different as night and day. ;)

Do you have any more pictures, I'd love to see them. :)

You have talent, enjoy it, further it, keep on learning. :)

Feb 8, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I want to get into water color, I love the look. I'm thinking of taking a few classes because on my own I haven't faired so well. Oils and water color are as different as night and day. ;)

Do you have any more pictures, I'd love to see them. :)

You have talent, enjoy it, further it, keep on learning. :)

You are making me have a big head over here.. lol
    Um.. I can't find anymore right now.
    But when I do, I will definantly show you.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 04:46 PM

Pastels, pencil and charcoal are fun to work with... painting in oils and water colour just doesn't work for me, not sure why, although I love the look of both and the fact they're more lasting.

I especially like the detailing with the blanket in the background in the first portrait. That's not easy to do. I often get stuck not knowing what to do with the background, so mostly leave it plain. Wish I had time for more classes as I miss them and would like to develop my drawing skills.

Have you been to classes, or mostly picked it up yourself?
    Pets Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 04:48 PM

I agree about the blanket, it almost looks real, like you could reach out and feel it's softness.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 04:59 PM

Yes, and the jumpsuit too. Looks velvety soft. That's what I like about pastels; you get a velvety look sometimes and it's fun working it into that sort of finish. You can get carried away sometimes, lol, not knowing when to stop. One last touch of colour turns into another, then 20 minutes later, another...

Feb 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    pastels, pencil and charcoal are fun to work with... painting in oils and water colour just doesn't work for me, not sure why, although I love the look of both and the fact they're more lasting.

I especially like the detailing with the blanket in the background in the first portrait. That's not easy to do. I often get stuck not knowing what to do with the background, so mostly leave it plain. Wish I had time for more classes as I miss them and would like to develop my drawing skills.

Have you been to classes, or mostly picked it up yourself?
    Thank you for your compliment.
    I always knew how to draw.. but I took classes in college that really boosted my knowledge of color.
    That blanket was hard to do but since I had it right in front of me.. It helped a lot.. lol

Feb 9, 2009, 07:55 PM

The thing about pastels I love is that you can keep building up on them. Yes you can go a bit too far but even when you do, you can easily fix your mistake... well sometimes. Lol
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 06:56 PM

You did well in your choice of colors for her skin in the first drawing. They're warm and inviting, and they really work well. I agree with what the others have said about your success in bringing out the soft fluffiness of the blanket.

I'm wondering if you worked on this from a photograph or from life. Also, if you are doing a light sketch underneath, are you using pencil, doing a quick run through with the pastels themselves, or setting up your composition in another way?

I have a couple of other thoughts that you may find helpful, but I'm not sure if you really are looking for constructive criticism or were primarily just happy to share the drawings. If you would like to hear them, just say so. If not, that's more than okay.

I'm really glad that you've shared your drawings here. I hope more people decide to do the same. It's a great idea.

Keep going at it!

Feb 15, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    you did well in your choice of colors for her skin in the first drawing. they're warm and inviting, and they really work well. i agree with what the others have said about your success in bringing out the soft fluffiness of the blanket.

i'm wondering if you worked on this from a photograph or from life. also, if you are doing a light sketch underneath, are you using pencil, doing a quick run through with the pastels themselves, or setting up your composition in another way?

i have a couple of other thoughts that you may find helpful, but i'm not sure if you really are looking for constructive criticism or were primarily just happy to share the drawings. if you would like to hear them, just say so. if not, that's more than okay.

i'm really glad that you've shared your drawings here. i hope more people decide to do the same. it's a great idea.

keep going at it!
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I worked from a photograph that I took and a bit from life.
    I used Graphite inorder to make a light sketch to set up my composition.

Please give me anytype of constructive criticism you have.
    It makes me a better artist.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 08:09 AM

Okay, that's the right attitude. Great.

The only way I'll put in this critique is if you SWEAR one thing to me: that you will take all of it to be enouraging, and that you won't allow yourself even for a second to get discouraged by it. This is about helping you, and none of it is anything other than that. Have we got a deal? :) okay. Then here we go.

First of all, I'm glad to hear that you're doing a sketch underneath, at the very least a light one to block out your basic composition.

This is all about building you up and pointing out some things that you can work on to strengthen your skill sets.

Again, what you did do especially well in the first drawing was use an excellent palate for her skin tones. You also managed to convey nice texture in the blanket.

With all of that said, there are some things to work on. Without ever having seen a picture of your daughter, I can tell that some of her features are off in the drawing. How is that possible? Well, there is a certain natural geometry in the basic structure of the skull, head and face. While no one's features or faces are exactly alike, certain relationships or differences exist, and certain others don't (unless you're dealing with a mutation or a severe medical issue, and I'm of course assuming your daughter is a perfectly healthy and beautiful little girl, which I'm sure she is). What you can do is study what those natural "rules" are, which will help you to check yourself as you're setting down your drawing. The reason this is so important is that part of our minds already identify what's real/natural and what isn't. If these elements in your drawing aren't correctly in place, whatever you do on top, as in putting in color, will be a bit lost to those mistakes. From your drawings, I'm guessing that you've already learned some of those rules, like the eyes fall midway down in relationship to the head, top lip goes over the bottom lip, etc.. Each of these elements is vitally important in making a drawing succeed. There are so many of these little details to learn and keep in mind. As soon as you get a new one down, your work will always continue to benefit from it.

Okay, if you really want them, and it sounds like you're a willing party, I'll show you some of the details that aren't working exactly right by pulling up the first drawing and color coding some things to watch out for. Each of us has our own "habits," so seeing them here can allow you to not make the same mistakes the next time around.

Here's the important part. Just about all of this is related to the sketch you're doing underneath the color. That's where your focus should be. It's the same reason people say that you have to learn to draw before you can become a great painter. You need the foundation to be right on, especially when you're working with portraits and figures. The fact is that portraits and figures are absolutely among the hardest things for any artist to do well. It takes years and years of practice, study, patience and determination. It's clear that you've been working on your skills for some time, and it's paid off. Now you can work on bringing this to another level. Keep working on perfecting your under-drawings, and you'll see your final products in color will be so much better for it. I know you said that black and white isn't your favorite. However, practicing with it can be one of the best things you can do to better understand the things we're talking about now.

This is getting long, so I'm going to divide up this post. The next post will include details on your first picture. If you're reading this before the second post goes up, just hang on. I'm working on it (and probably answering a phone call or two... it's inevitable). :) I'll be back with it.

Feb 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    okay, that's the right attitude. great.

the only way i'll put in this critique is if you SWEAR one thing to me: that you will take all of it to be enouraging, and that you won't allow yourself even for a second to get discouraged by it. this is about helping you, and none of it is anything other than that. have we got a deal? :) okay. then here we go.

first of all, i'm glad to hear that you're doing a sketch underneath, at the very least a light one to block out your basic composition.

this is all about building you up and pointing out some things that you can work on to strengthen your skill sets.

again, what you did do especially well in the first drawing was use an excellent palate for her skin tones. you also managed to convey nice texture in the blanket.

with all of that said, there are some things to work on. without ever having seen a picture of your daughter, i can tell that some of her features are off in the drawing. how is that possible? well, there is a certain natural geometry in the basic structure of the skull, head and face. while no one's features or faces are exactly alike, certain relationships or differences exist, and certain others don't (unless you're dealing with a mutation or a severe medical issue, and i'm of course assuming your daughter is a perfectly healthy and beautiful little girl, which i'm sure she is). what you can do is study what those natural "rules" are, which will help you to check yourself as you're setting down your drawing. the reason this is so important is that part of our minds already identify what's real/natural and what isn't. if these elements in your drawing aren't correctly in place, whatever you do on top, as in putting in color, will be a bit lost to those mistakes. from your drawings, i'm guessing that you've already learned some of those rules, like the eyes fall midway down in relationship to the head, top lip goes over the bottom lip, etc.. each of these elements is vitally important in making a drawing succeed. there are so many of these little details to learn and keep in mind. as soon as you get a new one down, your work will always continue to benefit from it.

okay, if you really want them, and it sounds like you're a willing party, i'll show you some of the details that aren't working exactly right by pulling up the first drawing and color coding some things to watch out for. each of us has our own "habits," so seeing them here can allow you to not make the same mistakes the next time around.

here's the important part. just about all of this is related to the sketch you're doing underneath the color. that's where your focus should be. it's the same reason people say that you have to learn to draw before you can become a great painter. you need the foundation to be right on, especially when you're working with portraits and figures. the fact is that portraits and figures are absolutely among the hardest things for any artist to do well. it takes years and years of practice, study, patience and determination. it's clear that you've been working on your skills for some time, and it's paid off. now you can work on bringing this to another level. keep working on perfecting your under-drawings, and you'll see your final products in color will be so much better for it. i know you said that black and white isn't your favorite. however, practicing with it can be one of the best things you can do to better understand the things we're talking about now.

this is getting long, so i'm going to divide up this post. the next post will include details on your first picture. if you're reading this before the second post goes up, just hang on. i'm working on it (and probably answering a phone call or two...it's inevitable). :) i'll be back with it.
    All I have to say is... WOW. LOL
    Thanks for the criticism.. and yes you are definantly right about the deformities in her face.
    I noticed that afterwards but since it was my first drawing after I had given birth to her.. and I was still in the bed... I just left it be.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Just one more thing before we begin: please excuse the fact that I've drawn on your drawing. It's not my favorite thing to do, and I'm actually sorry to do it. Over the internet, it's just quite difficult to point out the places I'm talking about otherwise. Also, I think it might be best to just keep this drawing as it is, but use these pointers to help you along in future drawings. Please note: all notes are on faces only.

First drawing:

red: look at the placement of the nose. This eye is very far out, and the other eye is maybe too far in. you need to make sure that you're really keeping that proportion in check. It will make an enormous difference.

orange: you're right in noticing that there is frequently a shadow that pulls down from a brow and down into the line of the nose. However, in the drawing, it looks like the actual brow grows through into it. That part would need to be softened (or done with the proper flesh tones) to prevent that kind of effect from happening.

yellow: babies have different head and body proportions than adults. They often have larger eyes. It's hard to tell without seeing the original photo, so please just bear with me. You can use these thoughts to check your own work. However, I think these eyes might be a little too large. I am also thinking that the iris might be just barely too large as well. What looks to be missing in both eyes is a light lash line. The upper lid is likely to be slightly smaller and the lid's shadow a little smoother in real life than it is on this eye.

green: because a light inner shadow is missing, the dip above the top lip under the nose seems to be filled in. it's a simple thing to correct.

blue: it's true that the top lip comes over the bottom lip, but it needs to be softened here. The lip and lip to skin are full of subtle transitions. If it's not subtle, the lips can look separated from the face or stuck on top. Watch where the corners meet and what happens there. On the other side of the mouth, you're running into the opposite problem, so the lips look detached. It just requires a lot of practice.

purple: it looks to me like the mouth might be a little too far down. In addition, while you're probably right in including a shadow, in this instance the heaviness and continuation of that shadow is creating a top lip that is too thin.

In many ways, your first drawing is much more successful than your second drawing. The photography might be factoring in, but the skin on the second drawing is much less appealing. The colors are slightly off, which can create a sickly effect, and the blocking of color is much harder in a number of areas here, which takes away the smoothness it should have, especially in the forehead an on the cheeks. I'm including a few notes here as well, although they will likely be shorter.

Second drawing:

red: what I'm assuming is supposed to be shadow has created an effect that you definitely want to avoid. The nostrils pull down into the dip of the lip, which makes it look like there's no flesh under the middle of the nose. The dip also needs to be softened quite a bit or it will look like there's too much flesh at the ridges.

orange: the eye is too large, too far in, and probably too round.

yellow: the iris is also probably too large. Check both eyes for these problems. Also, the eyes are different sizes.

green: check brow shape on both sides.

blue: I'm guessing this is a cheek line, as that which extends from the nose in a smile, but it needs to be checked and softened.

purple: same problems with mouth as described earlier. Lips need smoother transitions overall. Also, check lip thickness, mouth shape and mouth placement. The mouth is probably too far down, and it's appears to be falling down to the right.

Because this is for learning purposes, I've included the negatives here. However, there are lots of things you were able to do very well. I do think you definitely have talent, and there's no question you should keep pushing ahead with it. Every artist on the planet has to do it. Practice and experience are the best teachers. There's no way we can continue to get better without it. I've studied art for the better part of the last ten years in the US, in France and in Italy, and I can tell you that I'm still working on improving my own skills. It's a long road. The only way to get better is through practice and determination. Keep at it!!
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TabbyKitteh View Post
    all i have to say is...WOW. LOL
    Thanks for the criticism..and yes you are definantly right about the deformities in her face.
    I noticed that afterwards but since it was my first drawing after i had given birth to her..and i was still in the bed...I just left it be.
    Hey, overall you did very well! Working on portraits, you're also doing one of the most challenging things an artist can do. The reason I posted was just to see if I could help you to keep getting better. If I didn't think you had talent, I wouldn't have wasted my time to write all of that out, that's for sure, lol. I love that you posted these pics. I'm also a big, big fan of soft pastels. I love everything about them (well, except for the ease with which they disappear and the awful fixatives you need to use to prevent most of that from happening). :D I really do hope more people post their work! I promise I won't do any more critiques unless someone wants them. It takes courage to share! You did a great thing. Keep going!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want pastel hair dye [ 6 Answers ]

I want to put streaks of a pale seafoam green and a pale lavendar in my hair. I can't seem to find a dye in either color. Does anyone know where I can find these dyes? Or can you tell me how to lighten darker dyes?

Selling an inherited pastel? [ 2 Answers ]

I inherited a pastel done by an artist named J. Erwin Porter. He was more well known (semi-famous) in the northeast. How or where would I go to market/sell something like this, someplace honest?

ID pastel paintings [ 3 Answers ]

I have a series of pastel paintings done about 1935. They were auctioned in Lexington,Ky. About 1970. On back is BORIN ART PRODUCTS, Cicero Ave. Chicago, Ill. The artist initials On front right corner :AWO with "c" inside O. Any info will be appreciated.

Robert Duftos pastel reclining nude [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone elaborate on Robert Duftos's work? His history and value of the paintings

3-D sidewalk chalk art [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry; not a question, but check out some of these incredible 3-d sidewalk chalk drawings: http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm .

View more questions Search