Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 10:29 AM

Linny, you're amazing!

Okay, I'd love a critique, I hope Tabby doesn't mind me posting my pic here.

Sadly it's oil and doesn't photograph well, but I hope you get the basic idea.

Name:  2008 027.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  2008 033.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  93.3 KB
    TabbyKitteh Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 11:08 AM

linnealand: Here is a better picture of the second one. I hope it helps more with the critique.

Altenweg: Of course I don't mind. Your work is beautiful.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Linny, you're amazing!

Girl, you need your own thread and several more. I love, love, love them both! If you're looking for critique, I have nothing negative thing to tell you.

There's no question you know how to draw exceptionally well. You can't paint in this way if you're not masterful at drawing.

The second painting in particular displays a good number of carefully honed skill sets; bascially, being able to do it right means that you can paint anything you want. The fact that you've chosen to present an image in which the wolf at the forefront is turned in this way makes a huge difference; it makes the story you've decided to tell much more interesting, and it's a very smart move. Not one part of this painting is easy to do. Out of curiosity, what thinners have you mixed into your whites? Also, have you used a varnish, or is that the reflection of the solvent(s) (like thick linseed oil will do)?

I must tell you, I really, really love the first one. Though it looks to be more simple in some ways, I find it even more profound. It's hard to read because of the photo, but I love the palate you chose here. If I could, I'd steal it. I love it, love it, love it and love it.

Miss lady, how did you learn to paint? Your composition, your proportions, your subjects, all of it works. They're smart. Really, what a fantastic treat this was. Could you be more full of surprises? Darn it... I'm sure you are! I'm sincerely impressed and very happy that you posted this. I also love that you work in oil, which is the most difficult and most respected medium in painting. Hmm... I think you should be giving the critiques. Alty, you're clearly talented. What also gets me is the way you've barely mentioned this side of what you do. That's humility, you sneaky fox. Really, really wonderful. Anytime you want to share anything, I'll be the first in line wanting to enjoy it.
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 12:20 PM

Linny, wow, you made me blush.

My dad was an extremely talented painter, and I started painting because of him.

When I was a teen there was a lady in our town that was a recognized artist, sold many of her paintings, had a few art shows etc. She decided to open up her home to other artists, offer her experience. My dad and I signed up and continued going there for 3 years every week.

The cabin in the woods was a "class" project, I'll post my dad's on this post. It was actually more difficult to do then the wolves because of the white background.

Yes, the shine is a varnish to protect the painting. Sadly I'm terrible at taking pictures and couldn't get a good shot that didn't show the varnish.

The first painting is a bit blurry, sorry, I didn't realize. Like I said, not good at taking pictures. ;)

Here are a few of my dad's pieces. :)

Name:  2008 030.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  2008 026.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  2008 036.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  131.7 KB

Again, sorry for the poor picture quality.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 12:47 PM

b-b-beautiful! I just love the paintings, and I just love the stories as well. What a wonderful way to have bonded with your father! And what fantastic pieces you have to remember those times together!

Whites that have yellowed drove me crazy more than once. There are solvents that are supposed to keep that from happening, but yours are just perfect.

Don't blame yourself for the photography. I have never, ever been able to take a proper picture of any of my pieces. Paintings and drawings are really complicated that way. I need to take a photography class one day just for this, I swear.

Tabby, thanks for posting the second pic again; it is clearer and it's also a better image. However, I think the notes still apply. I kept thinking about what I wrote, and I really, really hope that you do see it as a positive, constructive thing. No part of me wants to take any of your enjoyment away. It's so great that you have thought to capture your daughter like this. Your enormous love for her is very apparent.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Linny, you're amazing!

Name:  2008 027.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  2008 033.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  93.3 KB

They're gorgeous, Alty. I love the mood in yours and your dad's paintings. I just think he must have been a very special man and a wonderful father. His landscapes are superb.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TabbyKitteh View Post
    linnealand: Here is a better picture of the second one. I hope it helps more with the critique.

Altenweg: Ofcourse i dont mind. Your work is beautiful.
    linnealand gave an awesome critique... wow... and your drawings of your daughter are just as beautiful and fresh as the first time we saw them, Tabby.
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    They're gorgeous, Alty. I love the mood in yours and your dad's paintings. I just think he must have been a very special man and a wonderful father. His landscapes are superb.
    Thanks Frangi, I'm so glad I have them, so many memories of us painting together when looking at those pictures.

Sadly I lost my desire to paint after he died in 2001, I just recently picked up a brush again, it doesn't fell right. I'm thinking of finding another course like the one we took together, someplace that I can get together with other artists, maybe get back in the groove again. I'm not sure.

Hubby gave me a great gift this year, canvass and water colors (poor guy didn't realize you don't use canvass for water color). I've always wanted to try water colors, if it works out I'll post the pics. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 07:00 PM

Your father would be happy you're painting again, Alty, I'm sure... and it's fun and interesting working around other artists, so hope you find classes soon. It's not a bad idea to try different teachers as they all have something special or different to offer. Wish I could do classes myself... maybe later this year, if I'm lucky.

I love the look of watercolour... shadows look dewy soft (my dreadful english lol)... your hubby sounds wonderful... :) )
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis View Post
    your father would be happy you're painting again, Alty, I'm sure........ and it's fun and interesting working around other artists, so hope you find classes soon. It's not a bad idea to try different teachers as they all have something special or different to offer. Wish I could do classes myself.... maybe later this year, if I'm lucky.

I love the look of watercolour.... shadows look dewy soft (my dreadful english lol)....... your hubby sounds wonderful..... :) )
    I also love the look of watercolour, I've tried it before but with really cheap paints and not the right paper, it didn't work out well.

I'm looking for classes right now. Sadly the lady my dad and I use to go to has passed away. Not a lot of options where I live, it's a pretty small town, local artists willing to pass on some knowledge are few and far between.

I do have a wonderful hubby, thank my lucky stars for him every day.

Thanks Frangi. :)
    TabbyKitteh Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 07:17 PM
    This thread has become so awesome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want pastel hair dye [ 6 Answers ]

I want to put streaks of a pale seafoam green and a pale lavendar in my hair. I can't seem to find a dye in either color. Does anyone know where I can find these dyes? Or can you tell me how to lighten darker dyes?

Selling an inherited pastel? [ 2 Answers ]

I inherited a pastel done by an artist named J. Erwin Porter. He was more well known (semi-famous) in the northeast. How or where would I go to market/sell something like this, someplace honest?

ID pastel paintings [ 3 Answers ]

I have a series of pastel paintings done about 1935. They were auctioned in Lexington,Ky. About 1970. On back is BORIN ART PRODUCTS, Cicero Ave. Chicago, Ill. The artist initials On front right corner :AWO with "c" inside O. Any info will be appreciated.

Robert Duftos pastel reclining nude [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone elaborate on Robert Duftos's work? His history and value of the paintings

3-D sidewalk chalk art [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry; not a question, but check out some of these incredible 3-d sidewalk chalk drawings: http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm .

View more questions Search