Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SKYLER08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 06:54 AM
    First time homebuyer credit
    I bought a house with my fiancé in may 2008 it is my first home he was in the process of selling his condo at the time we got married in Nov 2009 - both of our names are on the house ( my maiden name since we were not married at the time of purchase) Can I still get the $3750 credit ? Do I file separately? What are the requirements in the propsed credit? Am I in a bad spot because we got married?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Sorry, but my reading of the instructions and Pub 550 leads me to conclude that you CANNOT claim the credit because your husband owned a home within the three-year time limit.

When you got married, you effectively eliminated your eligibility for this credit, because the IRS considers you married for the ENTIRE year, which includes the time you bought the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time homebuyers tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading up on this tax credit and I can't seem to understand the date part of it, if I purchased my home in 2007 am I eligible for this credit? If not why did the government limit this to certain homebuyers with the economy the way it is we all need a little help.

1st Time Homebuyer Credit [ 7 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a home and expect to close sometime in March. Can we file our 2008 taxes now and then file an amended return after closing to claim our 2008 First Time Homebuyer's credit?

Credit for time served on a detainer for VOP [ 4 Answers ]

I need help please, I have been looking and looking on the internet for days now and cannot find what I need. My fiancé was in prison for 10 years for fighting in the State of Florida, He was released on 12/13/08 from FL. The State of Tennessee which is where we live has two detainers on him for...

Trying to build my credit for the first time [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to build up my credit and I need help! I am 22 years old. I don't have anyone to co-sign for me on any type of loan. I have never had a loan, signed a lease, etc. I pay my friend rent and her name is on the lease because I don't have credit. I have never had a credit card or...

First time credit card user [ 19 Answers ]

For first time credit card user Is 11.99% is reasonable rate? With mastercard no annual fee. Earning world points What do you think about the 95 cents per $100 protection fee? What would you suggest? Thanks.:)

View more questions Search