Uber Member

Feb 8, 2009, 02:19 AM

Hi, lilycloud!

How old is your dog, please?

Thanks!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 05:10 AM

When was the last time your dog saw a vet? Heavy drinking and heavy urinating can be signs of a kidney problem. How much weight has he or she lost? How long has this been going on?

It sounds to me like it's time to take your dog to the vet to get a thorough checkup and some blood work done. If this is in fact a kidney issue, it should be taken care of as soon as possible. The good news is that if a kidney problem is handled quickly, there are various things your vet can do to ameliorate the situation. Just
    Please keep in mind that you cannot get a diagnosis for a medical issue over the internet.
    lilycloud Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 05:41 AM
    My dog is a female boxer who will be 12 this year. I took her to the vet when the water problem began she now drinks at every chance the toilet, flowr pots, snow, rainwater, bathwater, washing up etc. She has also lost lots of weight in the past two weeks. I am going back to the vet tomorrow but wondered if you knew anything. She is my whole world I love her dearly. The vet said that the urine test was clear and maybe her miknd(I think not). Thanks anyway .
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Well, I'm very glad to hear that you're taking her to get checked out again and that she's in such loving hands. At least you should rest assured that you're doing the right thing. I hope everything goes okay. I had a cat with a kidney disorder who lived until she was 20 because of proper care and lots of love. I know how it feels!
    jeepgrl015 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2009, 11:30 AM

It could be early signs of kidney problems like everyone else is saying or the beginning signs of diabetes. Have some blood panels done just to be sure

Feb 15, 2009, 02:16 AM

Hi everyone. Many thanks for all the answers. I took Tuff to the vet and unfortunately there is nothing they can do. The blood and urine samples show no signs of any problems. It appears old fashioned old age. Strange thing is since the visit she has put on a small amount of weight (like she knows what's up). But she is in no pain and un until I see that she is unable to cope on her own (which at the moment she is) then I will continue to get up at 4.30 and let her out and mop up after her. So both tuff and I thank you for all your help. Take care everyone. Babs and Tuff and blue (he is two and looks out for her).
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 06:08 AM

Oh, lilycloud... first of all, I'm really glad that you came back to post. Not everyone realizes that it can be hard for us not to know where the story has gone. I'm very sorry to hear that there isn't more that can be done to help Tuff, but I'm so, so glad to know that you've taken the right steps and that your love for her will be carrying her through the hard times. I know how hard it can be when your dearly beloved pet starts getting older, but I also know how truly amazing they can be when they reach that point in their lives. I know that the last pet I lost taught me so much, and I will always be grateful for being able to stand by him then. My best wishes go out to you, to Tuff and to the rest of the gang! Hang in there!

Feb 15, 2009, 07:53 AM

Thank you again and I would not dream of not telling you the outcome. Take care xx
    jeepgrl015 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2009, 03:06 PM

I'm glad to hear everything is okay!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is drinking water but won't eat? [ 2 Answers ]

Me dog is drinking water but won't eat what could be wrong?

Experts: Lots of gas coming out of water well [ 5 Answers ]

This is a problem I've had on and off for about 6 months (since I've lived here). We are on a water well, 530ft deep. When the pump is ON, everything works great. When the pump shuts OFF (reaches cut off pressure), there is air/gas that comes out of the hoses/fixtures. It is a LOT of it. It...

Lots of drinking and urinating [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old beagle that has had about 5 accidents (peed) in her bed while sleeping. This started about 2 weeks ago. My vet can't find anything wrong with her blood or urine and has ruled out Diabetes Insipidus. After $400 of test and boarding with them so they could measure her water...

Drinking water [ 3 Answers ]

My dog won't drink water what do I do

Cold water no longer running to one sink. Also lots of air [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in about a month ago to a 1920's duplex. Most of the plumbing was re-done when the house was gutted in the '90s, and there was an addition added (with PEX plumbing, incidentally) in 2001. When we bought the house the addition had been winterized. I've de-winterized it and now have a few ...

View more questions Search