Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    verbattered52 Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Feb 7, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Work From Home
    Does anyone know how I can go about getting clerical type work I can do at home without some company trying have me PAY to work?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2009, 10:04 PM

Hi, verbattered52!

If you're asking about using the Internet to do clerical work or type from home in order to make money, basically, most of the sites out there offering those kinds of jobs are scams. There might possibly be ways to make money by typing from home via using the Internet, but it would depend on what your particular typing skills are. So, it would help to know what specific skills you do have, as far as typing is concerned.

Also, what sort of education, training, skills and interests do you already have? Are you looking for full-time or just part-time work, please?

You did ask about working from home in the title of your question. Most of the things that I do for a living are what I would consider to be home-based or work-at-home. But, they are pretty skill-specific types of disciplines.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 10:27 PM

Clough made some good points. If your typing is good and fast, and if you are near a high school or college, students will pay to get their papers typed and even proofread/edited. With email and attachments, transfer of a term paper can be done electronically without your having to leave the house. Contact the principal's or dean's office to get started. (***ADDED Ask about their preferences regarding your editing and correcting student papers.)

I write/tweak resumes and cover letters for people and do it via email and attachments. I've never met or even talked by phone with most of the people I've helped. Payment can be done through PayPal. (It does take a bit of work to set up a web site and a PayPal account and then get your name out there. Or it can be done as I have done so far, by word of mouth.)

In the past, I've done medical typing at home and also typed theses and dissertations for master's and doctoral students.

NEVER ever ever pay for company names or lists of possible clients. Companies do not farm out work-at-home projects to people they don't know and who haven't worked for them in the office.

Feb 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
    My typing speed is 65 wpm. I managed a Call Center for an Insurance Company for eighteen years, and managed a Customer Service Department for Child Support Services for two years. I also have had a class in Medical Terminolgy. I have worked with my different programs.

Any assistance you can offer is much appreciated.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by verbattered52 View Post
    My typing speed is 65 wpm. I managed a Call Center for an Insurance Company for eighteen years, and managed a Customer Service Department for Child Support Services for two years. I also have had a class in Medical Terminolgy. I have worked with my different programs.
    Call State Farm et al. agents and claim offices in your area. They may have a typing load that needs doing -- interviews with insureds, witnesses, other drivers, etc. Call the hospitals in your area to find out if they could use some typing help. Remember -- files and reports can be scanned and transferred electronically, or maybe you'd be able to pick up work to take home. Call area physicians, psychiatrists, mental health centers, etc. Think about what you would charge and discuss that with them.

Feb 8, 2009, 09:41 PM

Thank you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 10:41 PM

If someone has typing work but isn't sure you are the right person to do it, volunteer to do an assignment for free.

Also, teachers in h.s. need students' stories and essays corrected, so you could be a teacher aide, though that would mean you would have to drive somewhere to pick up stuff. I did that years ago and was given a recorder to also enter my "live" comments for the student to listen to later.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2009, 11:43 PM

That's a great idea about doing something for free in order for a person to sell what they can do for a potential employer, Wondergirl!

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2009, 06:34 PM

You guys are the best!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piecework at home/ Packaging work at home or crafts work [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for a part time job as due to my GCSE I will have 3 months off after them, and I have heard of piecework which I am interested in, however I don't know what to serach for who to contact can someone help me out please as I would appreciate it. Could you please list a few manufacturers...

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Work at home [ 11 Answers ]

How reliable are the surveys that are advertised to work at home types? Is there any money to be made here? Is it possible for a stay at home mom To make anything in time compared to return? Thanks

Work from Home [ 5 Answers ]

I am interested in typing from home. Are there any companies that can assist with obtaining job assignments? Of course, I am looking for one that is honest and not going to be a scam.

Work From Home [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking for a job I can do from home. I am not looking for a "get rich quick" job. I just need enough money to help pay the bills. I can type & print the pages out, use the internet, do something for mortgage companies with the loan applications, etc... Any suggestions on...

View more questions Search