Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkmiller Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
    MS-Word not print pictures
    I created a Microsoft Word document that included 23 screen shots from the Internet. The screen shots displayed just fine until I closed and re-opened the document; now only 2 of the screen shots are visible, and 21 of the screen shots are not visible. Instead, each non-visible screen shot was replaced by a small black outlined square, and the following message was displayed: "There is not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture." I know that there WAS enough memory and disk space because everything was displayed properly before I closed the file.

I am using Windows XP and Microsoft Word 2003. In Word, in Tools, Options, View tab, in the "Show" area, "Picture placeholders" is un-checked.

What caused this problem, and how do I resolve it?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 12:52 PM

This is a known problem in Office 2000-2003. People's mileage varies on the different "fixes". Here's the one I am going suggest.

Replace the Normal.dot.

I don't know if you're into a lot of "customization" of your Word layout and features like I am, but this would be a pain to me. But I think it's your best bet.

Normal.dot is the "default" hidden document template used to create new blank documents. It's where the blank sheet Document1 comes from.

Use the Search feature in windows to find you Normal.dot file. Rename it to Normal.org.dot or something so you can retrieve it later if wanted. If you can't find it, follow these steps on this page for revealing it if hidden:
    http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...word.htm#step1

When you start Word, Word will create a new Normal.dot file you. Go back to the same directory and make sure this has occurred.

Now, create a new document with pictures in it the same way you created the one that no longer displays properly. Close that document and reopen it. Do the pictures stay visible?

Unfortunately, if this works, you will have to recreated the picture document with this new Normal.dot active. The old one is already based on the old Normal.dot that we've now proven to be problematic. It won't fix that doc. You'll have to make it over.

Hope this works for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pictures in email won't print [ 9 Answers ]

I'm using Microsoft Outlook for email. When I receive an email with pictures included and print the message, the pictures do not print. I get a box with an "X" in it. I've tried the help files etc and am getting nowhere. How do I get them to print? Thanks, Kay

Why won't text print in Word (Office 12) [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to print but although text on screen won't show in print preview or print? Pauline :confused:

Word won't print text in bold [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been asked to change some information in an existing handbook. I have made the necessary changes. Now I have printed the document but on just one page it doesn't print any text that has been made bold!! If I take the bold off it prints fine but this is a rather important passage and...

Can't print internet pictures [ 3 Answers ]

I have never had this problem before, when I tried to print a shipping label from an internet site all that would print was a box with a red x in it. I tinkered with settings but nothing I tried worked. Thanks for any help you can provide.

View more questions Search