Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MIKETT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Can I claim F1 visa student as a dependent?
    Can I claim F1 visa student as a dependent?
    She is my wife's niece living with us and has Fi viza. My wife and I are US citizen.
    We support most of her expenses. Does she qualify as our dependent?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 12:54 AM

No, an F1 student is exempt from residency for 5-years, and a dependent must be a resident. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent UK visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband is student in UK and I have got Student dependent uk visa on him. So could you please answer whether I can work full time in uk?

Claim F1 student as a dependent [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am working under H1B visa for the whole year 2005. And my sister is studying with her F1 visa for the past 2 years (2004-now). Can I claim her under mine for dependent or exemption for tax year 2005? I already read about the 4 (5) requirements for tax dependent (exemptions) 1....

Student dependent visa of uk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I want to know if I have a student visa of uk and my spouse is a dependent can he get a full time or part time job?

Claim an F-1 student as a dependent of a US Citizen? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I are US citizens and my sister has an F-1 visa and goes to school in US. We pay full tuition for her and we provide her with room and board. Can we claim her as a dependent on our taxes? Can we deduct her tuition expenses? My parents are green card holders but since they...

May I claim my sister (J1 student)as dependent? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, My sister came to US with a J1 student Visa but she has no income from US at all, she only has $5000 a year from my home country as scholarship, obviously, that's not enough for her.I paid more than 50% her expense here. I am a resident alien and will file tax return using...

View more questions Search