Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeaninSeattle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Help on Dripping Shower Valve
    I have an American Standard shower valve that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. I've managed to get the handle off with a puller, but now am stuck trying to remove the stem cover (I'm guessing that's what it's called).

Do you have any idea how I get this off (see below). I assume it spins on, as the plate behind it is smaller, and was obviously put on first. I tried using a pipe wrench and cloth, and it began to tear up the chrome, so I stopped. It is smooth on all sides - no hex, no flattened sides for a wrench. How on earth did they put this thing on? :confused:

Any help/input is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,
    //sse
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaninSeattle
    I have an American Standard shower valve that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. I've managed to get the handle off with a puller, but now am stuck trying to remove the stem cover (I'm guessing that's what it's called).

Do you have any idea how I get this off (see below). I assume it spins on, as the plate behind it is smaller, and was obviously put on first. I tried using a pipe wrench and cloth, and it began to tear up the chrome, so I stopped. It is smooth on all sides - no hex, no flattened sides for a wrench. How on earth did they put this thing on?? :confused:

Any help/input is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,
    //sse
    Hi Sean,

First remove the chrome escutcheon plate. You will find the chrome tube has fine threads that screw into the valve body. Spray the threads with WD-40 and take a pair of channel lock pliers close to the wall to unscrew the tube. Replacing the plate should cover up any marks you make. Escutcheon plates are secured by one of two ways. (1) a set screw on the bottom or (2) they have threads that can be unscrewed. Good luck, Tom
    SeaninSeattle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Thanks Tom!

I found that the plate against the wall was held in place with a plastic ring, which also had a smaller chrome cover. Once the cover was off, the chrome cover unscrewed off the valve. The valve itself came right out, and the two washers on it were easily replaced (via a trip to Lowes).

On to the next project!

Thanks for your help -
    //sse
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Happy to have been of service. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower and tub valve set [ 6 Answers ]

After having my last dilemna solved here, I figured it was worth another shot. We are attempting to pick out a shower valve for our shower stall. The one set that we like includes a tub faucet that we don't need as the space has a shower stall only, no tub. My question is... is it possible and...

Dripping shower [ 5 Answers ]

I changed the valve stems, valve seats for both hot and cold, but shower continues to drip. Any ideas? Does it make a difference when I install the new valve stem, whether it is fully closed or fully open or somewhere in between?? Help.

Leak in shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

Need some help with a leak in the hot water valve in the shower. It does not leak when the valve is closed, but leaks behind the valve when the hot or the cold water valve is opened up. It appears to me to be a pinhole, but I cannot see it. The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold...

Shower valve body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in an addition and purchased a new shower kit from Price Pfister. The shower valve is going into a 2x4 wall. The question I have is do they make different sizes of valve bodies because the one I have, when installed according to instructions, will only allow for about...

Shower valve [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? Can you explain all of the differences to me between a thermostatic water valve and a pressure regulated valve, and which one would be the best to use for my new shower for temp. control. I want to avoid those WOWs when someone turns on water somewhere else in the house....

View more questions Search