Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheryllemons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Moving my son out of state
    Can I legally move my son out of state at the age of 16 without his fathers approval? My son and I want to move to Wisconsin and we currently live in California near his father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 07:37 PM

No, assuming the father has and is using his visitiation you will need his permission

1. if it is written in the child custody agreement, you will have to or it will give him the right to ask for custody of the kids or to force you to move back

2. if not in the agreement, he may file a motion in court to prevent you.

So
    1. does the father regularlly see the child
    2. is the father current or close on child support
    3. will father object to the moving

If the father is regularlly seeing the child, what accomidations are you willing to make to give father chances to see child.
    More visits at holidays and summer with you paying for the transportation ? Perhaps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out of state [ 3 Answers ]

I am married to my 2 year old son's father, and we have been married and living together for just over 2 years. My husband and I have not filed for a divorce or for a separation. He is unemployed and going to school, and I would like to move in with my parents, and bring my son with me, out of...

Moving to another state [ 1 Answers ]

If I work the entire year of 2008 in New York State then move to Florida at the end of the year, how do I file my taxes?

Moving out of state [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has hinted that she might move out of state. She has remarried. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from moving away with our 5 year old girl?

Moving out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter who is 14 years old her father and I were never married. Her father has court order visiting but only been in her life when its convenient for him( I have document it all for years) Pays small amount child support that's when he works! I have been married for 6 years my...

Moving out of state [ 14 Answers ]

Ok for now I live in Maryland and my daughters father lives in pa I want to move to Arizona with my mom and take my daughter with me, we have joint custody and I was wondering if I can still move out of state or what I have to do about it

View more questions Search