Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 06:17 PM
    What is Commission Expense?
    I am attempting to write a paper on whether an overseas office is violating the FCPA and I need a better understanding of the term Commission Expense. I get the impression that it is the company's expenses spent on paying their salespeople commission, but I need to be sure. Anyone?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 06:24 PM

Need more understanding of what you are looking at.
    For myself, any and all expesne I have in making the sale is a commission expense, since it comes out of my money ( commission) and my profit is the difference.
    davbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 06:29 PM
    See the Multimedia activity on Ethics in International Business. Then read the case study about Geletx and Jed’s concerns about the office in Lima, Peru. Research the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and then discuss whether this situation would be a violation of FCPA. What do you think that Jed should do?

Geletex, Inc. is a US Telecommunications corporation attempting to expand its operations worldwide. As Geletex beings its operations in other countries, it has discovered cultural, governmental, and ethical standards that differ significantly from country to country and from those in the United States. Geletex has had a code of ethics for its US operations since 1975. The company's director of compliance, Jed Richardson, provides ongoing training for employees, runs a hotline through which employees can report problems, and is well known and respected through the company for his high standards and trustworthiness.

As Geletex's international operations grow, Jed is becoming increasingly uncomfortable with what appear to be double standards for the company's US operations and its operations in other countries. Jed, who has been raveling to each of the Geletex international offices, has found the following situations, which since have been causing him some sleepless nights:

In the Lima, Peru, office, Jed, in reviewing financial records, discovered that the commission expense for the branch is unusually high. Geletex pays its salespeople commissions for each commercial customer they recruit for cellular or long-distance services. Jed knows from experience that some companies pay unusually high sales commissions to disguise the fact that salespeople are paying kickbacks in exchange for contracts. In the United States, such payments would be commercial bribery and a violation of Geletex’s code of ethics. When Jed confronted the Lima, Peru, district manager and questioned him about the high commissions, he responded, “Look, things are different down here. We’ve got a job to do. If the company wants results, we’ve got to get things moving any way we can.”

Does this office violate the FCPA? Support your answer.

This office is not violating the FCPA, unless the salespeople are offered commission in order to disguise the kickbacks being given to customers - then they are in violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commission Expense [ 1 Answers ]

We have a complex commission plan. Our commissions for installation are paid 50% up front and 50% when the job is complete. We have 3 year maintenance contracts for which commissions are paid up front. Should we be expensing all of the commissions up front for installations and spreading the...

Commission pay [ 8 Answers ]

I am a 1099 insurance agent whom my employer is with holding my pay for a bogus reason. Can I take her to small claims over my commission? I am paid 2 x;s a month so can I do this over and over again?

Commission pay [ 2 Answers ]

Can expenses reduce commission pay?

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

Tax on Affiliate Commission [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Indian citizen living in India and earning through Affiliate Marketing. I want to know about payment made to me through Clickbank towards Affiliate Commission. What are the formalities so that no part of my commission income is withheld by the IRS ? Clickbank is asking for W-8BEN....

View more questions Search