Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Should I date someone who is much younger?
    Does anybody think it dumb for a younger guy (who's gay) to date an older guy. The younger guy is 25 and the older one is 50. You see this all the time in the straight world, right? Or is this just ridiculous? Just curious.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Feb 7, 2009, 05:04 PM
    25 to 50 is a huge difference! Whether you're straight or gay, it still seems strange to me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 05:07 PM

Age is only a issue if it is to the two of you.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick_682 View Post
    25 to 50 is a huge difference! Whether you're straight or gay, it still seems strange to me.
    I thought it seemed a little odd but he asked me out. What I am going to say, no? I'm not crazy! (And he's not looking for a sugar daddy, I know that for sure).
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 05:20 PM

As long as the other person is legally old enough to date then I don't see a problem.

If you two get along, have things in common etc, then why not?

Go for it, then tell us how it went. :)
    zeeniee Posts: 341, Reputation: 63

Feb 7, 2009, 06:41 PM

Generally I would say maturity and being on the same page, mentally and emotionally is more important from 25 years of age onwards.

However in this case there is a huge generation GAP!

This would only work well if the 25 years old person iS a very mature person to relate to the 50 year old person and vice versa. In such a case I don't see it as a problem.
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 06:47 PM

I know many people who are married and there's a 20 year age gap or more. It depends on the people, their interests and yes, their maturity.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeniee View Post
    Generally i would say maturity and being on the same page, mentally and emotionally is more important from 25 years of age onwards.

However in this case their is a huge generation GAP!

This would only work well if the 25 years old person iS a very mature person to relate to the 50 year old person and vice versa. In such a case i dont see it as a problem.
    Oh I know it's a huge generation gap--gosh, I was 25 in 1983. Yikes! Hey, that's not that long ago now is it?

Oh he's so cute though. He just left me a message that he was excited about seeing me tomorrow for dinner. He's adorable, how can I refuse?

Seriously though he is a really mature kind of guy (a law student-- not the average party-hearty types his age). And I'm awfully immature for my age (young at heart I like to say). So maybe we kind of meet each other half way.

Thanks for your comments.
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    Oh I know it's a huge generation gap--gosh, I was 25 in 1983. Yikes! Hey, that's not that long ago now is it?

Oh he's so cute though. He just left me a message that he was excited about seeing me tomorrow for dinner. He's adorable, how can I refuse?

Seriously though he is a really mature kind of guy (a law student-- not the average party-hearty types his age). And I'm awfully immature for my age (young at heart I like to say). So maybe we kinda meet each other half way.

Thanks for your comments.
    You're older but not dead. I say go for it, you're both adults, it's not like he's 16. ;)

Go have fun, see if you two have a connection, you only live once.

You do realize that I want details, right? ;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:23 PM

You're older but not dead. I say go for it, you're both adults, it's not like he's 16.

Go have fun, see if you two have a connection, you only live once.

You do realize that I want details, right?

Yes, thank you. You're very kind.

This isn't the first time I've been involved with a younger guy. When I was 42 I had a boyfriend who was 20 and I was truly in love with him. We were together for a year and it was really great. You know it was that kind of passion you have about someone you really love, you think about all the time, you care about? It's the sort of thing that poets have written poetry about and all of that.

So maybe there's some pattern here or something. Maybe I'm immature for my age, who knows?

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:29 PM

It's not weird at all, go for it.

And you see it more often on the gay scene, esp with men, than you do in straight relationships, I would say.

Enjoy.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    It's not weird at all, go for it.

And you see it more often on the gay scene, esp with men, than you do in straight relationships, I would say.

Enjoy.
    Yes, there is a difference in the gay scene and I've heard it explained this way (which I think is interesting): in straight relationships there's always a contrast between men and women because of gender but in gay relationships that contrast just doesn't exist because the genders match. But contrast is necessary for good relationships to exist and for them to thrive so gay men (and I suppose lesbians too) need something else for that contrast to exist. Sometimes it takes the form of age, sometimes race (ethnicity) or sometimes a combination of age and ethnicity differences. If age is too close then the male couple compete for who is sort of the lead person in the relationships. There are roles in gay relationships just like in straight ones and the contrasts allow for this.

Does that make sense?
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:46 PM

Em... I don't really agree with that theory but each to their own if that's what you believe.

I don't think everything is logical. I don't think there is a rule for straight or gay people.

I think people are attracted to people. Some like older, some like younger, some have no type they can pinpoint, some... well you get the point everyone's different.
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 09:55 PM

I know many people that are in heterosexual relationships where there is a huge age gap. Mostly the man is older, the women younger, I don't think society has really accepted the older women younger guy scenario yet.

Age really isn't a factor, like I said, as long as both people are legal there shouldn't be a problem, but some people do have a huge problem with age, sexual orientation, everything.

I've been with my husband since I was 19, he's 2 months older than me. Am I attracted to younger guys, yes, older guys, yes, but I'm married, happy, not looking for something better, or worse.

Age shouldn't be a factor, compatibility is what matters. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    Em...I don't really agree with that theory but each to their own if that's what you believe.

I don't think everything is logical. I don't think there is a rule for straight or gay people.

I think people are attracted to people. Some like older, some like younger, some have no type they can pinpoint, some....well you get the point everyone's different.
    I think there's been a book or two written about this but I've always liked that theory because it makes sense. There are certain things about men and women that just fundamentally make them different. So in a straight relationship where age is the same, occupation, ethnicity, and so on, there will always be contrast because of the differences in gender.

Now in same sex relationships gender is the same so something needs to compensate and create contrast. It can be many things I suppose. Some say gay male relationships are at their best with about a 7 or 8 year age difference, which is not the same in hetero-relationships.

Maybe it's a lot of hooy but it makes sense to me.:)
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 10:06 PM

I don't think society has really accepted the older women younger guy scenario yet

I agree. But look at Ashton Kutscher and Demi Moore (he's 30, she 47). And Madonna's been seen with a 23 year old Brazilian dude and she's 50.

Sharon Stone was with a 24 year old guy for a while and she's 50--everyone gasped. Some guy said, "She's pretty hot for a 50 year old" and another said, "Yeah but she's got 50 year old parts!" I had to laugh about that one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 12:09 PM

Date and have fun, and see if there is enough there to keep dating.

Don't be a hopeless romantic, and stop looking for differences between gays and straights.

Now shut down the brain for a while, and relax, and have fun. Just don't get carried away, but I have told you that before haven't I?
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Date and have fun, and see if there is enough there to keep dating.

Don't be a hopeless romantic, and stop looking for differences between gays and straights.

Now shut down the brain for a while, and relax, and have fun. Just don't get carried away, but I have told you that before haven't I??
    Hi Talaniman:

I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm going out on a date tonight with this fellow and I was hoping to hear from you before then to get your approval or condemnation:). I always like your advice, so thanks! No wonder you're a relationship expert~~;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 01:02 PM

Ooops! Excuse me, "senior" relationship expert!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 04:04 PM

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

The point is life is to short to be caught up in meaningless crap!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Call I have my court date canceled and do it on a later date [ 1 Answers ]

I have a court date for Oct 20 for a scheduling conference for a credit card debt. I was served a summons to file an answer and I did in a timely manner then I received a Notice of Hearing that says the case is scheduled for Scheduling Conference. Can I do anything at this point. I had previously...

Invoice Date or Actual Date [ 2 Answers ]

Is it proper to post payment requests by the invoice date or by the actual date? I ask because if you post by invoice date, you never have a hard close. What if you get an invoice in September for a July invoice date? As long as it is in the same fiscal year, does it matter?

Will women date younger men [ 15 Answers ]

I'm 17(male of chorse) and I have come to realize that being 17 sucks, I can't date too much younger or I could possibly get in trouble. And I have always woundered if there is any girls out there(18yo) that would date a 17. I know they could get into trouble, but I have already talked to my...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search