Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jAdams816 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Automation error in MS Access
    Hi,

Please Help

I am working with an Access database that was developed using Office 97 and was converted to the 2002-2003 Access file format. On this one form there are 26 text boxes (representing yearly pay periods) and on the “On Lost Focus” event for each text box the person who developed it set it to run a macro (that person is since long gone). The macro simply calls a function to validate the data that was just entered in the text box.

When the On Lost Focus event triggers I get this error msg:

“You’ve tried to run a Visual Basic Procedure to set a property or method for an object. However, the component doesn’t make the property or method available for Automation operations.

Check the component’s documentation for information on the properties and methods it makes available for Automation operations.”

From what I can tell the process doesn’t even make it to the function before the error is triggered i.e. there is nothing wrong with the code in the function. The error is generated without the code ever executing. I tested this by placing a break at the beginning of the function and the process never reaches that break point when testing it just errors out.

Also when testing I changed the macro call to an Event Procedure and just called the function from the event with VBA. This seemed to work. To me it is silly to have to add an event procedure for each text box (26 of them) call this function and I can’t help thinking there has got to be a simple solution.

The only thing I can figure is that perhaps I need to add or change a Reference (under Tools – References) but if I am correct I can not figure out what Reference I need to change/add.

If anyone knows what the problem with this is and can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

J. Adams

Check out some similar questions!

MS Access Linkmaster Error [ 1 Answers ]

I have created a simple database of products. I need to be able to enter an order that would update an ordersdetail table. I created an order form with a subform for entering product order. (I referred to the Northwind database for help). Everything seems fine except that when I try to enter...

MS access error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am required to run series of MS Access Queries in a sequence one after another. I want to do this automatically as each query takes like 2-3 minutes. So, I created a form and as soon as the form loads, each query is executed. When I try to run my query for like last 5 day data,...

Access Denied Error [ 10 Answers ]

Problem: Can not access data on a Hard Drive which came from another (now discarded) PC. The HD won't boot by itself (has XP Pro installed which I think is corrupted ). I have the HD mounted as a 2nd HD in a new (XP Pro) computer. The HD is visible as D: and I can see all the directories, but...

Access Run Time Error [ 1 Answers ]

Runtime error '1004'. How can I have this fixed!

Access 2000 error [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all. We are using an access database 2000 with 30 users. The dbase size is 50 Gig. For some reason we keep getting an error messsage that the dbase is not in recognized format and has to be repaired. This error can show up to 10 times a day. Please help. Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.