Feb 7, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Plasma or LCD for new flat screen ?
    What are the pros & cons of Plasma vs LCD for a den flat screen TV
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 08:22 AM

I think the main differences are:
    • LCDs better in a bright room
      You may get reflections from the glossy plasma panel.
    • Plasmas better with fast motion (like sports)
      LCDs suffer from "motion blur" (although they have improved a lot)
    • Plasmas have better contrast
      Blacker blacks
    • Plasmas take more power (and generate more heat)
      Important if your electric rates are high

Here is a brief article that might help.

I have both a plasma and an LCD, and I like them both.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    dglennware Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Feb 8, 2009, 07:13 PM
    I will be purchasing a new HDTV in a couple of weeks. After doing a lot of research, I have decided om plasma because it is less expensive and will most likely handle my Playstation 3 games better with no blur. If glare is a problem, I can shut my blinds, so that is a non-issue. I just wonder how much more per month my electric bill may be if plasmas really cost more to operate...

Dave
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dglennware View Post
    I will be purchasing a new HDTV in a couple of weeks. After doing a lot of research, I have decided om plasma because it is less expensive and will most likely handle my Playstation 3 games better with no blur. If glare is a problem, I can shut my blinds, so that is a non-issue. I just wonder how much more per month my electric bill may be if plasmas really cost more to operate......

Dave
    According to this article, LCDs average 213 watts and plasmas average 339 watts. If you leave them on for 8 hours per day and electricity costs $0.07 per KWH, in one month the difference would be: (339-221)*8*30*.07/1000 or $1.98 so I probably shouldn't even have mentioned that as a difference. I would imagine that larger screens would have a larger difference, however.

WallyH
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 05:31 AM
    I have heard that one will outlast the other. Is this true?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Blue screen on plasma TV [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a Pioneer plasma TV Kuro 60 inch Plasma, and its started doing funny things when I changed the channel. Then the picture turned blue. What do you think the problem is? THANKS, bucky802

Flat screen TV monitor [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to hook up a CPU to a 40'' LCD Samsung TV? I want to use the TV as the monitor. What components would I need, wireless mouse, keyboard, cpu etc. etc. What cables would I need?

I have 2 flat panel TV's that don't work, one plasma, one lcd [ 3 Answers ]

One of them is a Dell W4200HD 42"Plasma, and it has a broken screen. The outer layer is not broke at all, so I assume the inner part of the screen broke from drop impact. The second layer is clear and is shattered. The white layer under that one is either scratched or cracked, can't really tell....

View more questions Search