Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bangor1001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Weedeater lawn tractor
    I have a weedeater lawn tractor age unknown but 5-8 years guessing with a 12.5 briggs engine, went to start it last week and clicking was all I got so tried to manually turn crankshaft and it was froze, this week I got to tinkering with it and was able to turn shaft and it fired up like always, after it sit a bit it was froze up again, I have pulled the covering off and made sure starter was not at fault and it was not, flywheel turns hard or not at all one way, sounds like something grinding under flywheel, is there something under flywheel that could be causing this, also after getting it started I mowed yard with no problem, now its back to jammed any advice on what it might be?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Over head valve or side valve? (flat head)

Have you kept a check on the oil, etc. (just in case kind of thing) the flywheel should turn relatively easy till it hits the compression stroke... which sounds like what its doing. There shouldn't be anything other then the stator (provides power) under the flywheel, which is set in permanently. OH, one thing, make sure the ignition coil hasn't come loose and is rubbing the flywheel!!

Aug 11, 2006, 08:10 PM
    Flat I do believe, Make:BRIGGS
    Model:289707 Type:0179-01 Code:9704117A
    HP: 12.5 I/C and no it does not turn easily the proper way it jams and won't turn any farther with plug out, after reading some other posts getting me think it might be a rod bolt has loosened and jamming on case, oil is always checked before use, coil is also all right and not touching, what ever it is I am going to have to rear it down till I find it, any clues as to removing flywheel bolt w/o damaging anything? I have replaced tractor with new one but want to know what went wrong, thank you for responding
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2006, 11:16 PM
    Either use a puller, or undo the nut (putting a little rope down the cylinder to lock the engine will do) and pop up from underneath while turning it (but not recommended for plastic or aluminum ring gears) or undoing the nut a couple threads, hit the nut while pulling up on the flywheel.
    honeyandbee4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
    We have a

Poulan/weedeater model/ 262-811 serial# 0514990004288 mfg# hdt1338a

Tecumseh products co, engine model ohv130 206822c
    (c)
    Engine family wptxs.358 2aa

Displacemnt 358

d.o.m. 9119 r

Just won't stay running, runs as long as I put gas in the carburator
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Bangor, sounds like the compression release on the cam is bad.

honeyandbee4, you said it was a tecumseh, did you mean, "Chief Throwmmm Rod"?? Just a little shop humor, as you can guess I am not to fond, not fond at all of the tecumseh brand. Sounds like you have carb. Problems. Clean carb. Fuel line, and tank, replace the fuel filter, reassemble, and adjust carb.

Aug 23, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Well my solution was to get a 17 hp b&s off eBay was almost new works great and cost me 200.00 of course that's cheating for a solution but it worked.. lol
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Good choice. To do the work for the compression release, you still would have to pull the engine, and then open it up. This way at least you just removed one engine and replaced another. Good job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

No start ayp lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a AYP 22hp kohler with a electric pto clutch. The engine won't turn over with the key switch . I can jump the key switch and it will run. It will stay running as long as I leave the clutch/brake pedal engaged. If I release the clutch or try to engage the blades it will die . At first I...

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

MTD lawn tractor will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I had just finished mowing my lawn. The tractor sat in the lawn for about an hour. When I returned, it would not turn over. It makes a small click noise then nothing. I charged the batter over night, same result in the morning. It has a Briggs 14.5 HP engine. Where do I start? Thanks.

Bad solenoid in lawn tractor? [ 2 Answers ]

I was installing a new solenoid in my lawn tractor. The new solenoid posts were bigger than the eyelets in the cable connections. I drilled them out a bit. While tightening the cable connections onto the solenoid the posts in the solenoid began to spin... did I ruin the solenoid?:(

View more questions Search