Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrstlacy27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
    30 day notice law in California
    Hello I have a question does anybody know if it the law that you have to give a 30 day notice in the state of California because we were living at a home and our car was broken into twice in one week and there was a lot of out going activity going on after the first brake in , the people we think did it would walk by our home , watch us and drive by a lot more then home . SO then the second brake in happened and the same day as the second one we packed up and left but when the first one happened we then talked to our landlord about getting an alarm system even previous of us getting our car broken into we asked if they would install an alarm they pretty much gave us the run around so anyhow the second time,

We told her that we will be moving out if it is OK with her and she said she totally under stood So we packed up and left . NOw they are refusing to give us our deposit and are telling us that the law is in California that no matter what you have to give a 30 day notice .But also on our lease agreement it says that the lease shall terminate on 2-7-06 but they now sent us a new copy of the lease with different stuff of what is on ours they have since crossed out the 2-7-06 and made it 07 and added more to the documentation and this is a legal document so I would think that would be against the law. SOmebody please help cause we are wanting to take them to court it is a very long story.

Thank you .
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Here's an overview of California Landlord-Tenant law: http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/

Keep this in mind:
    * the first part of your post has no bearing on the situation

* The landlord is probably correct about the 30 day notice, since the lease term expired, you're on "month to month".

* They can't change the lease and expect it to be enforceable, so you don't have to worry about that.

You should have gotten it in writing that it's "ok with her" for you to move... and when.

Bottom line: If the lease says you have to give a 30-day notice, then you have to give it.

I don't think you have a case to take them to court.

... sorry to be the bearer of bad news :o
    4drifting1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
    We moved into this house 10 years ago,the rent was $ 1600 AND WE HAD A VERBAL AGEEMENT THAT THE LANDLORD WOULD NEVER RAISE THE RENT as long as we lived here due to our financial situation.We were paying
    $ 1000 at the previous house.However in the last 4 years the landlord raised our rent at two different times amounting to $1900.A few days ago the landlord called us and told us that she was raising the rent another $ 200 and that from now on we were to pay for the water bill, effective July 1 2012.The total rent would now amount to $2100 plus the water bill. The landlord stated that if we were planning to move we were to give her a 90 days notice.
    Both my wife and I are on social security wich does not begin to cover the cost of the rent.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 21, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4drifting1 View Post
    ... The landlord stated that if we were planning to move we were to give her a 90 days notice. ...
    This is why it's not a good idea to tack your new question onto a new thread. It's not clear which, if any, circumstances pertaining to the original poster apply to you. What state are you in? In most places only a 30 or 60 day notice is required (unless lease terms require a more extensive notice).

I would not pay more than the rent you have most recently been paying. If, as I understand, you are a month-to-month tenant, the landlord cannot raise the rent without giving you notice (for the appropriate time) specifying that if you don't agree that you are to move out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice - California [ 5 Answers ]

On Sept 20 I gave my written 30 day notice. I subsequently moved out around October 3. My lease had expired in July. My problem is that the rental co is charging me rent till the last day of the month instead of 30 days after I gave notice, which should have been Oct 20. My question is can they...

California inheritance law? [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and live in California. I have inherited some money from my father and I want to know if this inheritance is community property or does it just belong to me alone?

California Lease [ 3 Answers ]

I'm very thankful I found this site... it has proved to be very informative and the people that reply are greatly appreciated. I hope someone can answer my question as this is turning into a problem I hadn't expected! I rented a house property in July. The house was being rented by the owner,...

California divorce [ 6 Answers ]

I have been separated from my wife for about 4 or 5 years. We have a daughter together and have completely moved on with our lives. We get a long great but we simply have never gotten a divorce. I really need to get the process started now with my current relationship slowly moving that...

California [ 1 Answers ]

Contest Question 1 out of a hundred. I am having a lot of trouble with this one. Thanks for any help. A certain California drive-thru during its almost-90-year span of operation, before a snowstorm in the late sixties put it out of commission... What, where was it... I have tried tunnels,...

View more questions Search