Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acrp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Transferring a 401
    I have an account with Valic about 100K in it, it is in a retirement 401 started with my old co. I have moved to a new job, they have a 401 k with BBand T.
    Should I transfer the original 401 or just start a new one. If I leave the original I can not add to it right? What's the best way to have my retirement grow?
    Im scared I will loose it all any way if there is another crash. Is there any way to protect it at all. I am 49 still plenty of work years left. Basically I need to know what is the best way to deal with my finances.:confused:
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 11, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Your best bet would be to transfer the funds to a Self-Directed IRA. If Valic is a financial management company like Fidelity, Putnam etc. you can leave it with them or put it with another company. Seek the council of the financial institute and that of trusted and financially savy friends to achieve the proper diversification and get an overall mix of return/security that fits your comfort zone.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
    First you need to check with the administrator of the old company. Some companes require that you close your 401K when you leave. Other companies will let you let it stay. You are correct that you will not be able to add anything to it.

If your old company does not require that you close it, then you need to decide what you want to do. Look at the investments your account is currently in. How have they performed? If they have performed well, then you might want to just leave it alone. Or you might want to change the investments into better performing options.

Or you can decide to do a rollover into the new companies plan. Here again, you need to look at the investment options offered and determine whether they meet your needs. One advantage of a rollover into the new plan, is that you may be able to take loans against that money. 401K loans are a great deal, any interest charged is just added back to your account, so you are essentially borrowing from yourself and paying yourself interest.

You also have the option, as Dr D suggested, of a rollover into an IRA. You can then decide where the IRA will be and what investments will be in it.

Your fear of a crash would suggest that your risk tolerance is pretty low. So you want to look for safe investment vehicles. These will not have high returns, but stable ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring hard drive to run as slave [ 5 Answers ]

OK my old computers mother board fried.. so I got another computer same intel celeron same emachines brand but they both r using same mother board go figure... so I was going to try to slavage the information on the old hard drive and yes the computer recignises it perfectly fine shows up on my...

Transferring deeds [ 3 Answers ]

After we got married my ex husband bought a house just in his name, now such property was declared a community property,we have to go back to court for the final resolution in November. So far, he has taken private loans and there is little equity left; how can I force him to put my name in the...

Transferring big file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm Wessley, I have a movie file of around 600MB on a pc. Is it possible for me to transfer it to an other pc if I only have the internet, and a floppy drive. Is there any software available that can either zip the file sufficiently, or that can split it into smaller files? Thanks

View more questions Search