Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ana52408 Posts: 152, Reputation: 17

Feb 7, 2009, 08:13 AM
    What to get boyfriend for valentines day!
    Hey guys, I've never really paid attention to valentine's day till this year because I have a boyfriend, but I have NOOOO idea what to get a guy for valentines... I was thinking of getting him a dog because he reallllllllly wants one but his annoying mother keeps on saying "no." Any ideas on what I should get him? It will be greatly appreciated!! :):):)
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:15 AM

I wouldn't get a dog for him. Valentines Day is more about the special bond between you and him, not a gift, especially one his mother doesn't approve of.

What else does he like?

Feb 7, 2009, 08:23 AM

He plays basketball, he loves romantic things, I mean I thought a dog would have been cute, and his mom is so dum cause she's had 3 dogs before and she says that she doesn't want another one because she doesn't want to take care of it while he reallllllllly wants one and is promising to take care of it. I have 4 dogs and when he comes over all he does is play with them. I think he would love a dog but I don't think I'm going to be able to get him one if his mom doesn't approve... how about an idea like going out somewhere??
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:25 AM

A nice romantic, candle lit dinner does the trick for me. If he likes romance... do that. Even some flowers for the lucky guy!
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:26 AM

Kc is right it is about spending time together... just take him out to a romantic dinner and get him a nice card.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:31 AM

Don't get a dog! No matter how 'dum' his mother is she will be the one paying for and looking after the dog.

Homemade cards say you really care and thought a lot about it.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:32 AM

I am always happy when handed white chocolate and regular chocolate dipped strawberries.

Yummy :)

Feb 7, 2009, 08:42 PM

I already did that and nahh she def. won't be looking out for the dog but she will have to buy the food which that won't be a problem. She's just stupid and annoying. I will make him dinner that day and I really want to surprise him with the dog. I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee his mom. She's an idiot she doesn't even know how to put gas. I'm 15 and he's 16. My mom lets us have our own time together while his over like when we watch TV or movies but his mom cock blocks to the maxxxxxxxxxx. We don't have any sexual intercourse or anything but she swears I'm going to like eat her son! Once she saw us just kissing and omg hell broke loose. She's so stupid that if I had to say everything she does it would take me a whole day. She's mostly nice though but other days its like she's mean the WHOLEE day. I want to give him a dog and she's going to have to deal with it!!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
    FYI, for those of you who appreciate updates, I'm rather sorry to be posting this one. She got the kid a dog. Personally, I would have recommended the chocolates. Surprise! You get a fur baby that your mom can't stand.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...py-316801.html
    heartbroke Posts: 163, Reputation: 24

Feb 20, 2009, 04:06 PM

I would have settled for dinner and a back rub
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Omg, guys, all of your ideas are so boring and practical and realistic.

Easter is coming up, and I just think bunnies are too cute!! I'm going to give one to my boyfriend whether he likes it or not! Or his stupid mom. She's so stuuuuupid. She HATES lambs and she lies and says she's allergic. I don't caaaare. I also want to give him a chicken because they lay Easter eggs and a lamb because they're soooo cute! Omg!

Don't worry about Christmas though, because I've already picked out a reindeer I totally want to give my guy! He's also getting three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree. Cute!!

What's wrong with that? Is a dog really easier to take care of than a rabbit, a chicken, a hen, a dove or a tree? Not really.
    heartbroke Posts: 163, Reputation: 24

Feb 21, 2009, 02:14 PM

Linnealand, just cut out your heart and give it to him!! So he knows he has it
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    omg, guys, all of your ideas are so boring and practical and realistic.

Easter is coming up, and i just think bunnies are too cute!!!!! i'm going to give one to my boyfriend whether he likes it or not! or his stupid mom. she's so stuuuuupid. she HATES lambs and she lies and says she's allergic. i don't caaaare. i also want to give him a chicken because they lay Easter eggs and a lamb because they're soooo cute!! omg!!

don't worry about Christmas though, cus i've already picked out a reindeer i totally want to give my guy!! he's also getting three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree. cute!!!!!

what's wrong with that? is a dog really easier to take care of than a rabbit, a chicken, a hen, a dove or a tree? not really.
    LMAO, love it Linny. As for the bunnies being easier than a dog, you, not so much, remember, I have 4 bunnies and 3 dogs, they're equally challenging. As for the dove in a tree, I have a cockatiel, does that count? No hens, but a super huge gold fish. I really am animal house, I should charge admission. ;)

I'm going to chalk this up to the OP being 15, but, that's no excuse. I have to wonder where the parents are, obviously they must be on board.

I just hope that this works out for the puppies sake.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 07:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by heartbroke View Post
    Linnealand, just cut out your heart and give it to him!!! so he knows he has it
    First I want to give him my mind. I'm going to feed it to the hyena he's getting for St. Patrick's Day. We want to tip our mailman for Christmas, but I can't decide if he would prefer a parakeet or a pair of gloves. As for me, I'm so hoping to get a unicorn for Labor Day. I promise to take really good care of it.

Yeah, well, it was worth the reddie. I started writing something, and that's what came out. I wrote it to make a point. There were so many things that upset me in what you wrote. If you think what I wrote sounded ridiculous, I'm glad you're able to see it that way. You might not love it, but I think it did mirror what was said earlier. I'm finished making my point.

Ana, I think I gave you as much advice (and even support) as I could in the other thread. It's not going to change things here, but honestly, the fact that a puppy was being put in the same category as strawberries, a homecooked meal and an affinity for basketball sort of made my stomach turn.

Sorry ana, no hard feelings. I know you're 15, but I think you're much smarter than that. By the way, I think your new thread is EXCELLENT. I'm proud of you for that. That's a much better way to demonstrate your love of animals.

Alty, you deserve a medal, a trophy and a safari suit. I totally adore you. :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 09:23 PM

alty, you deserve a medal, a trophy and a safari suit. I totally adore you
    You're sweet Linny, but really, compared to other people I know, I'm hardly doing anything.

What I need is a bigger house, bigger property, a heated barn, some volunteers, more money, and the license to start a No kill shelter. That's my dream, hopefully one day it will be reality.

I'd have a bunny area, a dog area, a cat area, a bird sanctuary and then a separate area for the more unusual pets.

I'll let you all know when I see this dream through, maybe you can spend summers on my farm working with the animals, helping to find their forever homes.

Okay, I've got a tear in my eye now. Darnit. :(

Feb 22, 2009, 09:29 PM

Awww!! Alty I think you can make that happen :) and you will get that help, I will fly up to canada to help you with all the farm animals even horses and cows! <3

And in canada it snows like half the year so we have to keep them safe and warm when that time of year comes around<3
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana52408 View Post
    awww!!!!!!! alty i think you can make that happen :) and you will get that help, i will fly up to canada to help you with all the farm animals even horses and cows! <3

and in canada it snows like half the year so we have to keep them safe and warm when that time of year comes around<3
    You would be welcome any time Ana.

I've made plans, drawn sketches, even found out the pricing of all the things I'd need. The main problem would be starting it up, and then space. I never ever want to turn down any animal that is brought to me, in order to do that I'd need extra space in case of an influx of unwanted pets.

My plan is to take them in, rehabilitate them, get them the medical care they need and then find them new homes. The stipulations for adopting one of these pets would be rather strict, I'd insist on a home inspection and the potential adopters would have to sign a contract. I wouldn't charge money for these fur babies, but I would ask that people donate money, food, bedding, cages, whatever they can give so that the shelter could continue.

So many animals get euthanized every day, most are perfectly healthy, wonderful, kind caring animals that just need a home, a human to love and care for them.

Most people, when going to a shelter to adopt, pass by the older animals, they want a puppy, kitty or bunny. I'm the odd one, all the rabbits I've adopted are the ones that were considered lost causes. Most of them had already been there for months on end, or adopted and then returned because of behaviour issues. All they needed was a gentle hand, understanding and a place to feel safe. They get that here.

I think the biggest problem I'd have owning a No kill shelter would be allowing any of the animals to leave. That would be hard, like losing a child. I can't stay detached, I know I'll love every one of them, but I also know that in order to continue taking in more animals, I'd have to find homes for them, otherwise I'd quickly run out of room.

Oops, I'm babbling. Sorry everyone. I could talk all day about this. ;)
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 09:41 PM

Ana, you really should check out Starby's thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html

At the end I've posted picks of some of the animals that are in the shelter in my home town, waiting to be adopted.

There's actually a little Jack Russell Terrier there, he's adorable, I'm about to post a pick of him and his credentials. Sadly I think it will be a while before he gets adopted.

Take a look. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 07:02 AM

Linnea... what can I get you for next Valentine's Day... I have seen your pics... time for me to step up my game :)
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 3, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana52408 View Post
    i already did that and nahh she def. wont be looking out for the dog but she will have to buy the food which that wont be a problem. She's just stupid and annoying. i will make him dinner that day and i really want to surprise him with the dog. I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee his mom. She's an idiot she doesnt even know how to put gas. im 15 and he's 16. My mom lets us have our own time together while his over like when we watch tv or movies but his mom cock blocks to the maxxxxxxxxxx. we dont have any sexual intercourse or anything but she swears im going to like eat her son! once she saw us just kissing and omg hell broke loose. She's soo stupid that if i had to say everything she does it would take me a whole day. She's mostly nice though but other days its like she's mean the WHOLEE day. i want to give him a dog and she's going to have to deal with it!!!!!!!
    Didn't she state earlier that his mom was okay with it? Looney tunes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Valentines Day [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all, As seen in my previous posts my ex has been needy lately and lonely and we hung out as friends that's all she wanted but I want more. She was telling everyone she had a great time with me but she only wants to be my friend and so on. She also mentioned how much I love her and things...

Valentines day [ 25 Answers ]

Has anyone got anything special planned for valentines day? My girlfriend is coming home from india and I think illl take her to dinner, any one else thinking of doing something special?

Valentines tip! [ 16 Answers ]

Communication is KING!! So today is valentines day. Big day for couples. Guys: Women use this day to reflect on their relationship and figure out where it stands. You better be in good standing! Women are evaluting the relationship - seriously - almost should I stay or should I go? Write...

What should I get him for valentines day [ 1 Answers ]

Ok guys here's one for yoy what do you think? I want to get my boyfreind something he will like for valentines day I have not been with a guy for about three years I was with a women so I'm a little out of practice what should I get him?:p

View more questions Search