Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 06:33 AM
    O. J. Simpson's If I Did It
    I got my hands on a copy of O. J. Simpson's If I Did It. Last night I blew through this strange book. It was such a bizarre, surreal experience, and it has left me feeling weird, a little surprised and pretty confused. Has anyone else read it? What were your feelings on it?
    I realize that it's officially supposed to be categorized as a novel, but I found it hard to keep that in mind while reading it. My head is spinning. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 06:44 AM

I did not read the book but I saw the author who collaborated with him on this on Dr.Phil and I was blown away by the things this man said. He read many different transcripts and it read like a confession.
    The author said that during his sessions with OJ ,very often he would *forget* to present this as fiction and say things such as *I did*,very telling sort of mistakes such as that.In fact the collaborator said much the same as you did about how bizarre he thought this was.
    I didn't know it was even on the market,I thought there was some sort of judgment prohibiting that.I am an avid reader and it sounds like something I would enjoy.You have peaked my curiosity!
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:33 AM

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Living abroad, I know I missed all of the talk that surrounded the book when it first surfaced. I had only heard about the it in a three second promo some time ago. Needless to say, it wasn't something I soon forgot about. Through a little searching, I was able to find a copy of it online as an e-book. I think that's just about the only way you can get it right now.

I didn't really know anything about it, so when I got to the really bad parts -- yes, there are those bad parts -- I had to start scraping the top of the internet for more information. Still, I don't think I understand what's going on here. I feel like O.J. flat out wrote what happened. It's extremely weird. After I finished the book, I felt like a sad, creepy cloud was hovering over me. This is not your typical book because it's not based on a typical situation.

I wish I could have seen that interview with the ghost writer! I am so glad you told me that he has said those things. The truth is that there are various points within the book where you feel like someone is trying to tell you that this guy is guilty... and definitely not wired correctly.

The first half of the book deals with O.J.'s life before the murders. It's mostly about his relationship with Nicole, but you get some of his other past in there as well. Then comes the shocker. You're carried through the incidents surrounding the murders, as in you're there. It's spooky and fathomable.

One thing to keep in mind is that the book is written in the first person. So after the murders take place, O.J. doesn't once mention being guilty and how he tried to hide it. Nothing of the sort. He narrates being "hassled" by the cops. There are a couple of actual transcripts thrown in. and then you get to the infamous car chase and what was going through his mind as it was happening. None of the trial is included.

Like I said, it's all very, very weird. It's so weird, in fact, that I'm feeling the need to get it off my skin and talk about it!

I remember reading some information on wiki as to how the book made its way through the internet, and they mentioned a site. If you want to get your hands on a copy, it might be worth investigating the link.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:09 AM

By the way, I've been doing an online search to see if I could provide you with a link to it, but it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to find. If you are part of a peer to peer network, it's a different story.

I had no idea how rare this read might actually be. For this reason, I think it would be more than acceptable to just readdress the O.J. story in general.

Reading this book has made a lot of things resurface in my memories of that time. Every part of me hates to admit it, but it had a big affect on me. In part, I'm quite sure that the fact that I was so young and impressionable made it that way. I was watching TV when the chase started. Every channel was set on that bronco. The whole country was watching. In the months to come, everyone I knew in school talked about it all the time. When the trial aired, I would come home from school and it would be on. It seemed to go on forever. It also seemed to be asking all kinds of big questions. Would justice be served? Was he guilty? What was the evidence, and which detail would be the one to convict him? Where were people's alliances?

The events covered in this story had such an influence on the public, and I know they had an influence on me. I know how totally ridiculous this sounds now, but back then it was influential in lots of ways, both big and small.

I was in school when the verdict was announced. Hundreds of students were cheering and rallying in the halls. People were crying. Some cried because they truly believed that O. J. was innocent. Others cried because they felt that O. J. got away after brutally murdering two people. I remember feeling shocked, and then numb, and then angry. I was still a teenager then, but I lost faith in the judicial system at that time. I decided not to pursue a career in law after the results of the trial were revealed. That sounds crazy now! But it was the truth. I was preparing for college, and I had a lot of big choices to make. I thought that if O.J. could go free on a case that felt so strongly obvious, I didn't want to invest myself into something that could be so flawed. I'm completely embarrassed to admit that, but it's the truth. No system is perfect, which is something I very obviously see differently now as an adult, but I still believe that had I not been exposed to the trial in the way I had... but it was also all so stupid, wasn't it?. wasn't it?

So much hype surrounded the O. J. case that, even now while reflecting on it, all of it feels so out of proportion and dated. After reading this book though, and feeling like my big gut feelings had been confirmed, well...

I am glad I got the chance to read this, and I'm also glad (if not truly embarrassed) to be getting the rest of that garbage out in the open. I do hope to foster some kind of dialogue from anyone who has read it, from anyone who has any kind of information about it, or from anyone else who still has feelings connected to the whole affair.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:30 AM

Hello again!
    I watched this unfold on court TV.I was riveted to my set.They didn't call it the trial of the century for nothing!

What a drama!

If it was a scripted movie,you would say its too unbelievable,way over the top.

When it became a race issue I knew there was going to be an injustice done because no one wanted another Rodney King episode.

It was stupid and I am just happy that 13 yrs. Later they put him away for something.I think he had a sense of being invincible after his first *get out of jail free* card was handed to him.

I'm going to look on line and see if there is an ebook.

I can only image how that must have been for you , being so young and impressionable and seeing that the hands of justice can be so easily manipulated.

The ghost writer got creeped out also and he is sure of O.J.s guilt.In fact many times during the process the author said he was afraid for his safety.

Off to find that e-book... thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 11:18 AM
    I'm back with more information.

I don't know why everything I've been reading says that you can't get this book because I just found it on Amazon. I could be wrong, but it looks like it's there.

Here's the link: Amazon.com: If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer: The Goldman Family, Pablo F. Fenjves, Dominick Dunne: Books

The only additional thought that crosses my mind is that it might be different from the version I have. I know that the first version was heavily edited for legal reasons. It would be interesting to know what any potential differences might be!

Here's a review taken from Amazon. I think it really portrays the nature of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/If-I-Did-Confe.../dp/0825305888
    From Publishers Weekly
    "With an audacity that vilifies O.J. Simpson more than any other author could, Simpson himself provides a fictional tell-all account of the murders of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown. Simpson seems to be more concerned about how the press poorly portrayed the facts—not about his murderous acts but of his personal life and relationship with Nicole. When he's not lamenting about how he is misunderstood, he's playing arm-chair therapist for Nicole (claiming she was involved with drugs, constantly erratic and still hopelessly longing for him). Simpson insists it was Nicole's actions that ultimately forced him to murder her. With an exclusive commentary read by Kim Goldman (Ron Goldman's sister), an account of writing the book with Simpson by ghostwriter Pablo F. Fenjves and an afterword by Dominick Dunne, listeners get an interesting balancing act of interests and motives for the publication of this story. G. Valmont Thomas eerily embraces Simpson's sound and speech patterns, making the audiobook more disturbing than the book. Hearing Simpson's words at his most enraged, listeners will be impressed and possibly frightened with how well Thomas delivers this first-person narrative."

My copy doesn't include a preface, an afterward or any commentary. I think that's why I've been especially lost with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search